Get Started by playing the Amul Quiz. December 12, 2017
QuizWorks helps multinational property management firm with a Diversity and Inclusion initiative October 6, 2017
The client is a global property management company with nearly 300 corporate offices, operations in over 80 countries and a global workforce of nearly 80,000. India, with 10,000 + employees and with large business operations, is one of the most important geographies for the company.
Being a property management firm, with properties including offices, factories, housing complexes, SEZ’s etc, it has a huge in field operations team – 90% of which are male. In a scenario like this, as part of its global policies, it was important for the company to create an awareness program for Diversity and Inclusion within the company.
The client needed an initiative that can cover the 90% of its work force, who are in field, managing properties and not necessarily in office. So classroom sessions of education was not feasible in terms of time and money.
The initiative should be able to generate enough interest for people to participate voluntarily and at the same time educate them on gender sensitivity.
High impact, high engagement, and highly technology driven engagement was required to simultaneously engage thousands of employees within the country
To help the client educate its employees on Diversity and Inclusion, QuizWorks designed a 2 prong approach – engaging field operations through a mobile based gamified quizzing and then hosting a live quiz at Mumbai for shortlisted teams.
The quiz was branded as QuizVersity – and teams were asked to be formed basis on one of any below 3 conditions –
- Diverse by age (a gap of 10 years)
- Diverse by Gender ( Male + female)
- Diverse by Geography ( colleagues from different locations).
The content for the quiz comprised from topics like race, religion, gender, age, art and culture, cuisine etc. The engagement initiative was spread across 7 days for all employees of the company. As the scoring, ranking and shortlisting were completely automated, the client could conduct the event simultaneously across the country
The Key elements were:
- Phase 1: Online and Mobile based gamified Quiz – As a qualifying round, participants were quizzed about diversity and inclusion – the companies philosophy, and real world examples as per the topics mentioned above.
- Phase 2: Shortlisted teams had to go through another round of quizzing, this time with higher level of difficulty. Top 5 teams were chosen basis their score and time taken to complete the quiz.
- Phase 3: Face-to-face Quizzing – The ‘Grand Finale’ as it was called was held at Mumbai, where the 5 top teams were flown in and started with a keynote from the CEO. The teams were awarded interesting prizes like Laptop, Mobile phones etc
Participation – More than 50% of the workforce took part in the online initiative thus sensitizing themselves on Diversity and Inclusion as a subject
Engagement – 90 % + of the participants rated the content to be highly informative and engaging because of in built game mechanics like challenge, progression, sociality, rewards etc
Highly cost effective in terms of reaching 10,000 + workforce through this strategy. The client team got an “internal best practice” award for this initiative
If you like a similar initiative to be organised in your company, do reach me out at [email protected]
Before you leave, check out some of the questions for this quiz
- Vikings are an ethnic race from which geographical region of the world?
- “A Brief History of Time” is the name of one of the famous books he authored. Despite being challenged from ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), a motor neuron disease, he is one of the most admired scientists in physics. Identify him.
- Kilt is a knee length, non-bifurcated, skirt type garment with pleats at the rear. This is a traditional wear of men and boys of which nationality?
QuizWorks Presents Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind 2017 August 22, 2017
India celebrates 50th Engineer’s Day on September 15th to mark the birth anniversary of Sir M Visvesvaraya, the most outstanding Indian Engineer. He was the brain behind Hyderabad’s flood protection system and the construction of Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mysore. The 6th Edition of Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind Quiz, India’s biggest Inter-Corporate Quiz for engineers, will be held on 15th, 16th and 17th September 2017. It will be a battle among the top engineering minds in the country.
Our top quizmasters – Runal Dahiwade, Raj Dam and Miraj Vora – will engage the audience with their expertise and wit across Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad & Ahmedabad after which the top zonal teams will battle for the grand finals in Chennai on 17th September.
To know more about this event click HERE
Ascend the Throne through our GoT Quiz July 14, 2017
0 of 5 questions completed
You must specify a text.
You must specify a text.
You must specify a number.
2 days and counting. While the Game of Thrones returns for the 7th season, here is a simple quiz based on the TV show. Lucky winners get cool GoT merchandise.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
To enter the lucky draw, please fill these details. We’ll call you if you are a lucky winner.
1. Question1 points
“Hear me roar” are the words of which house?Correct
2. Question1 points
“I drink and I know things”. This is a quote by whom?Correct
3. Question1 points
By what name do we know men who defend the Wall?Correct
4. Question1 points
There are only two things which can kill white walkers. One is Valyrian steel and the other is?Correct
5. Question1 points
Who is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark?Correct
Marvel’s “The Defenders” Quiz is here March 17, 2017
With “Ironfist” releasing today on Netflix, comic fans, especially Marvel Comics fans, now await “The Defenders”. While your favorite superheroes are gearing for some action, you can have some action time too by playing our quiz. So get ready:-
Review of Interrogante 2017 held at Christ University March 14, 2017
Interrogante is the annual quiz event conducted by Christ University, Bangalore. This event has grown to become one of the must-attend events for a quizzer in their quizzing calendar. Ably hosted by MINDCOGS, the quiz started off with a written Prelims. The 8 teams who qualified for the next round were:
- Sai Mitra/TCS
- ESPN Cricinfo/Capgemini
- Genesis Colors/Mahindra
- Christ University
- Suguna Holdings/VIT Vellore
- Ujjivan/Nexus Consulting
- 3one4 Capital/Amazon
- Walnut Knowledge Solutions
Sai Mitra/TCS won the event with a score of 155 followed by Ujjivan/Nexus Consulting who came second with a score of 85, Suguna Holdings/VIT Vellore came third with a score of 65, ESPN Cricinfo/Capgemini came fourth with a score of 55, 3one4 Capital/Amazon and Walnut Knowledge Solutions had a tie for the fifth position with a score of 50, Genesis Colors/Mahindra was in the sixth position with a score of 20 and Christ University secured the 7th position with a score of 05 points.
The questions ranged from all fields some of which are given below:
- Identify the person who passed away in November, 2016 in Bengaluru. He was the managing director of a company which originally started with Silk Manufacture in 1906 and then diversified to the field they were most famous for.
Ans.: L. Srihari Khoday
- Pecten Maximus, is a northeast Atlantic species of scallop, an edible saltwater clam, in the family Pectinidae. Pacten maximus is quite robust and is characterized by having ears of equal size on either side of the apex. The right, or lower, valve is convex and slightly overlaps the flat left, or upper valve, which is flat. In business, what is derived from this?
Ans.: The Royal Dutch Shell Logo
- The term for this hedge fund is a metaphor which is used to denote the behavior of preying on debtors in financial distress by purchasing the now cheap credit on a secondary market to make a large monetary in many cases leaving the debtor in a worse state?
Ans.: Vulture Fund
- It came into existence in the 13th century. It is believed to have been first made by the Saudagar family. Previously known as Kapashi, Paytaan, Kachkadi, Bakkalnali and Pukari, the name indicated the area where they were made. What is this?
Ans.: Kolhapuri Chappal.
- On asked about this acquisition in 2016, Iceland based CEO Thor F, said, “I hope that Glu will take good care of my baby”. What was his baby?
- Which company’s logo is inspired from the fountain of the Neptune in Bologna, Italy and it comes from the French word for ‘three’ ‘teeth’?
- Her journey started when she flunked her first year exams in the textile Designing course at the Sophia Polytechnic in Mumbai in 1983. She enrolled for a screen printing and textile designing workshop. Finally in 1985 she borrowed Rs. 7000 from her mother and set off for Crawford Market, where she bought some fabric, rope and other raw material. Her first employees were the building liftman and security guard. Which hugely popular brand for women she created?
- It was founded in 1958 by Surya One night Wonowidjojo had a dream in which the old salt warehouse which stood across the way from another factory Cap 93, featured prominently. Subsequently, Sarman, one of the original fifty employees who had followed him when he left Cap 93, advised him to put a picture of the warehouse on every packet to secure good fortune. Wonowidjojo thought this was a good idea and asked Sarman to design the logo.What am I talking about?
Ans.: Gudang Garam
- This was originally placed on police chiefs in cities of Madras, Bombay, Calcutta, Lahore and Rangoon in Burma in 1920s. Regional heads were independent. After independence, the autonomy of regional heads was abolished and they were brought under the Bombay Board. Finally after passing of a particular Act in 1952, the entire structure was unified and reconstituted. What am I talking about?
Ans.: CBFC- Central Board of Film Certification
- A Bengaluru based startup called Safe Halo has made a new product for just INR 600/- which has created a huge buzz in the market. In a span of 3 months, they have received more than 50000 orders. Their highest orders are coming in from Kota, Rajasthan. What product have they created which is 2.5 inch x 2.5 inch device made of metal and plastic, comprising an alarm.
Ans.: An anti-suicide ceiling fan.
QuizWorks has won the prestigious Tech Rocketship Award 2016 for Outsell December 11, 2016
QuizWorks has won the prestigious Tech Rocketship Awards 2016 for Outsell – A Sales effectiveness software. Outsell helps sales reps be more productive through in-field coaching and providing byte size engaging content on products/services – all delivered within a proprietary SAAS technology on web and mobile.
QuizWorks has been a pioneer in making enterprise content engaging through quizzification, micro-learning and gamification over the years and has engaged 1 Million + individuals across 80 cities in India. With Outsell, it disrupted the sales training industry by taking training beyond classrooms, providing continuous training reinforcements and assessments for better recall. Outsell also ensured that access to sales content like product literature, case studies, process information etc are now standardized and provided to sales reps at the moment of truth i.e during customer meetings.
ccepting the award, Miraj Vora, Co-Founder – Outsell, said, “It is an inspiration and honor to receive this award. As a sales effectiveness company, we believe we are helping sales reps be better at their jobs, which in turn creates financial success for them and better buying experiences for the customer”
QuizWorks won the award after a two-stage evaluation process and among 700 odd entries. The jury consisted of eminent leaders from industry like Mr. Anand Mahindra, Mr. Ajai Chowdhry, Mr. Sanjeev Bikhchandani, Dr. Saurabh Srivastav, Ms. Shardha Sharma, Dr. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Mr. Alpesh Patel and Mr. John Kat. The award was presented by Mr. Mohan Das Pai of Aarin Capital.
Gamification and quizzing for Recruitment and Employer Branding December 10, 2016
“Will you fit into our organization?” an innocuous question that the world’s largest professional services firm asked its potential recruits last year – just that it did not ask this question face to face, but in the form of an interactive gamified recruitment video. This video chronicles the journey (A-Day-In-Life) of a young new hire and gives him scenarios that he has to choose, which are commensurate with the company’s corporate values. The correct answer is then highlighted. It’s a great way of turning boring recruitment videos into an interesting format, engaging young recruits, and educating them on the behavior that the organization expects from its employees; thus enabling a potential recruit to figure out if he/she is the right fit for the company.
The gamification trend is fast catching up and leading global brands are using gamification tools and techniques to attract and hire talent. They have to – Forbes estimates that by the year 2025, 75% of the global workforce would be millennials, and just this fact would fundamentally challenge how we recruit, induct, and engage with prospective employees. And therefore traditional recruitment systems and techniques of the last century don’t hold good anymore.
Recruitainment is Recruitment V2.0
A leading global diversified hospitality company asks potential recruits to go through real life scenarios through a “Virtual Kitchen”. A potential ‘candidate’ or a ‘player’ walks through the virtual kitchen and deals with scenarios such as handling an irate customer, ordering groceries, and managing the kitchen. The company then analyzes the data of the players, figures out the guys who can handle stress and deliver orders on time, and calls them for the next round, eliminating interview costs and saving time and money on hiring a wrong candidate.
Employer branding is commonly defined as “an image a company projects as a potential employer to a desired target audience”. A closer look will throw out three keywords:
Now, a brand fundamentally has a unique position in a customer’s mind. The perception therefore needs to be ideated by the company, but once it does that, quizzing and gamification comes extremely handy in delivering (projection/promotion) the message to a given target audience.
A leading Indian multinational automobile manufacturing corporation has done this beautifully. In the last decade or so, the manufacturing sector has lost considerable talent to the IT/ITES sector, primarily because of the huge appetite of IT firms for recruiting engineering graduates irrespective of their branch/specialization. The automobile giant wanted to fix this. They realized that instilling “auto passion” in young minds and showcasing the company’s heritage and current work would result in the organization taking a “preferred employer” position among e-school and b-school students. Thus was born a gamified quiz for e-school and b-school students (currently also open to working executives). Today this project reaches out to more than 60 locations across the country, has received multiple awards, and is one of the most recalled campus events in the country. Some of the game elements that are used in this include competition, collaboration, challenge, status, progression, instant feedback, achievements, rewards, points, etc.
Gamification enables employer branding specialists to engage deeper with prospective employees, as gamification helps dig into the intrinsic motivation of any candidate/player and engage him/her meaningfully with the company’s core messaging. This is a technique that is set for exponential growth globally in the recruitment and employer branding space.
How quizzing can be used to sustain a culture of innovation December 10, 2016
A leading American multinational conglomerate, which uses science and innovation in their day to day operations, values the importance of sustaining the culture of innovation in their workplace and community. While their employees are imbibed with such values from Day 1, there was a need to engage their community of buyers and articulate the theme of innovation.
Designed as a feature of the Workshop which the company imparts, an Innovation Quiz was created and hosted by QuizWorks. Content was based around Innovation in Technology, Movies, Companies, Day to Day Life and other areas. The audience profile was VP’s and Senior Managers of Supply Chain Management, Delivery and Design at leading Indian companies.
This initiative was done as a fun exercise to engage the audience. Questions were in the form of Text, Visuals and Audio Videos.
Have a look at the questions asked:-
Q1. Made famous by MS Dhoni, it is a wristy whip shot, but uses a lot more bottom hand and has more pronounced bat swing. The quick rotation of the blade in the follow through of the shot also explains the name associated with the shot. What are we talking about?
Q2. According to popular lore, this dish originated in 1683 as a celebration of Austrian victory over the Ottomans at the siege of Vienna. The story follows that a baker saved the city when he heard the Turks tunneling underneath the city and sounded an alarm. The dish’s curved shape is said to mimic the crescent moon of the Ottoman flag. Which pastry item are we talking about?
If you want to engage your employees or your community through an innovation quiz, feel free to reach us here. Meanwhile, check out our Ideafest case study centered on Innovation.
QuizWorks completes 5 Years with Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind December 10, 2016
In the space of 5 years, Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind has grown from a 3 city event to a 7 city event. Having marquee sponsors such as Ultratech, Honeywell and Murugappa Group over the last 5 editions, QuizWorks is proud to have successfully hosted each and every edition. Attracting and engaging over 800 teams, spanning different engineering backgrounds, is what makes this property one of India’s biggest brand properties. Here’s looking forward to more editions.
Few snapshots of the event :-
How QuizWorks used quizzing and gamification to engage CIO’s October 24, 2016
Earlier this month, a leading Indian IT Consulting firm hosted a South Asia CIO meet of leading BFSI Companies at their campus to increase adoption of their award winning product. This product is powered by multiple solutions by their IT Partner and hence, there was a need to educate and engage the audience on these solutions which they may not be aware off; thus creating cross selling/up selling opportunities. To showcase the capabilities of Partner’s add on solutions which optimizes the product’s performance, the Partner were looking at novel ways of engaging the audience to promote key messaging.
The objectives, which we label as “T.I.D.E”, were following:
- Talk about add on solutions offered by the Partner on the product
- Identify cross selling and up selling opportunities
- Drive engagement and participation at the Partner’s Booth
- Educate customers in a fun and interactive approach
To achieve the above objectives, QuizWorks used quizzing and gamification to drive the actions of participants at the conference. An innovative contest titled “Wall Street Wolf” was designed to capture key engagement and learning metrics.
This info graphic provides a quick insight into our approach:
If you are thinking of a gamified initiative to engage your community, look no further and get in touch with us here
4 Tips for a Good Onboarding Experience June 2, 2016
As a L&D professional, onboarding new joinees presents a formidable challenge to overcome. Such programmes normally suffer from low completion rates, low participation rates and lack in engagement but are necessary for new joinees. According to SHRM, nearly 4 percent of new employees leave their new jobs after a disastrous first day. New employees decide within the first 30 days whether they feel welcome in the organization.
Having “gamified” onboarding initiatives for leading MNC’s and SME’s, we uncovered few basic essentials. They are :
- Present the Right Information
It’s your employees first few days on the job so don’t dump loads of information on to them. Have only the important information visible to them. “Nice-to-know” information such as About the Company, Management Team, and Vision & Values can be included. HR Policies and “Need to Know” information can be included at later stages.
- Gamify the Whole Experience
Majority of your new joinees have played one or more games on their mobile. Replicate the same experience in your onboarding programme too. Points, badges and leader board ensure high completion and participation rates. An engaging game journey gets them hooked on to the programme. We have had instances where employees have expressed that they felt “they were a part of a game”.
- Create Engaging Content Modules
Your employees have been used to seeing rich powered content in their day to day life. While information can be presented through ppts, pdfs and word docs, it would make a difference if such presentations were complete with good sense of design. Look at creating visually powered presentations and providing byte size information.
- Recognize Performance
While assessments can be integrated to the onboarding programme to capture key learnings, don’t make it over-competitive where employees feel it’s an exam rather than a fun exercise. Keep it simple and make it interactive. A small token of appreciation to the top performers, with company branded merchandise or team outings, can result in a good onboarding experience.
While we know that there are many other factors critical for a good onboarding experience such as technology, environment, buy-in from the management, the above 4 points represent the basic essentials.
Our award winning product, Playday, uses game mechanics to enhance enterprise learning in the areas of onboarding and policy learning.
Check out our case study on onboarding here
How quizzing can be used for community engagement January 28, 2016
In November 2015, LinkedIn introduced the LinkedIn Agency Aces– an interactive quiz aimed at connecting with working professionals in the advertising world. This presented an opportunity for agency executives to learn about the platform and develop right strategies to leverage LinkedIn to reach their potential audience.
(Catch the interview with Ashutosh Gupta– Director of Marketing Solutions, LinkedIn India, at the end of this article)
Like LinkedIn, many other companies are increasingly using quizzing and gamification as a way to engage with their community. Active community engagement helps generate new ideas, share best practices, while helping you build a trusted and favourable brand image. Quizzing has proved to be an effective medium to reach out to a community as it packages the right content and delivers it at a rapid pace. Here are the reasons why it should be used:
a) Promotes Awareness:-
When Chipmaker Intel wanted to promote awareness on the benefits as well as potential threats of Internet-based interactions and familiarise students with cyber threats, consequences and protective measures, they launched the Digital Wellness Online Challenge in collaboration with National e-governance Division. The online quiz aimed at sensitizing and creating a culture of digital wellness among children from classes 6 to 12.
The instant feedback provided through a quiz checks your existing awareness levels and reinforces what you already know. You can inform through knowledge based questions and help them apply knowledge gained through application based questions.
b) Suited for Dispersed Audiences:-
Your community is never restricted to a single location. When Times Ascent wanted to engage the large community of engineers in India, they conceptualized the “Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind”. Consisting of a Facebook based contest plus live quizzes across 6 cities in India, Times Ascent were able to connect with this dispersed set of audience. Through a single platform, they were able to reach out to their community
c) Personalized Content:-
It’s imperative that you communicate the right content in retaining and attracting a community base. While LinkedIn spoke about Social Media through their Agency Aces initiative, SHRM, the leading global HR society, spoke about the latest global HR trends through their Early HR Practitioner Quiz. A quiz ensures that all necessary information is packaged in a precise manner and is targeted to an individual.
With its varied assessment types and content format such as text, visuals and audio video, a quiz keeps you engaged. It could be knowledge-based questions to provide information or scenario-based questions to encourage participants to think, decide, and choose an action.
Whether it is LinkedIn, Intel, SHRM or Times Ascent, companies are slowly realizing the potential of using quizzing as an effective tool to reach out to their community.
The QuizWorks team caught with up Ashutosh Gupta, Director of Marketing Solutions, LinkedIn India to share his views on the LinkedIn Agency Aces program and its impact.
a) What made you choose quizzing and gamification to engage the Agency professionals online?
Through our Agency Aces program, we wanted to engage agency executives across India and share the latest developments in digital marketing. To make this process more interactive we thought of putting this information in a quiz format. By having individuals and agencies participate to become the ‘LinkedIn Agency Ace’ and the ‘Top Agency of the year’, we encouraged them to share and learn the best practices in the industry, in a fun way
b) How have been the impact and the feedback?
The response to the program has been overwhelming with over 2000 participants across more than 400 agencies participating in a span of just four weeks. It’s great to see that through a simple initiative we helped digital marketers in India learn about the latest trends and innovations in their field.
Click here to view our success stories in the Community Engagement Space
Gamification and Digital Learning – An Indian Perspective December 11, 2015
In an exclusive interview with QuizWorks, Captain Shantanu Chakravorty, Director at Cognizant Leadership Academy, shares his views on how L&D in India is evolving and how gamification is impacting conventional L&D initiatives.
Click below for the interview:-
5 Employee Engagement Ideas to boost Employee Morale October 28, 2015
As a Human Resource Leader, you are constantly looking at your Employee Engagement and Employee Satisfaction Surveys to check if employees have provided high ratings. You outline many initiatives to ensure that employee motivation is high. Gone are the days when just team outings and off sites used to be the norm for engaging your employees. The millennial workforce needs to be engaged differently as they are expected to form 50% of the workforce by 2020. Afterall, an engaged employee puts in 57% more effort and is 87% less likely to be disengaged according to PwC.
Here are the top 5 employee engagement ideas that I think would work well for the current dynamic workforce:
a) Innovation Portals:
Employee Ideas are at the forefront for the success of any organization. Whether it is an IT, BFSI, Retail or a Manufacturing industry, employee ideas are critical to new age improvements. You could create an innovation portal where employees can submit their ideas with pre-existing ones and tag their ideas to help make them easily accessible. They could explore “challenge questions” to help spark their creativity and find solutions for specific issues, and spread their ideas using a “share” button. Awards can also be created such as “Most Innovative Feature”, “Team Idea of the Year” to promote collaboration and innovation. Many companies such as Accenture, Deloitte and Salesforce have a strong emphasis on this culture. It’s no surprise that these companies are a constant feature in the “Great Places to Work” list.
See our work with Birlasoft for creating an innovation zone.
b) Awards Night:
Employees are in a constant search for platforms to showcase their talent and get recognized. Awards Night is a good way to promote this spirit. Here is a platform where employee benefits from the recognition that he or she deserves for all the work put in during the quarter or year. While business impact needs to be recognized the most, it would not hurt for Human Resource to have a few cultural performances lined up during the ceremony. Employees would feel that they are being engaged as they are doing what they love the most during such occasions. Aditya Birla’s Retail Oscars is a good example where Retail Reps, Store Managers, Regional Managers and Senior Leadership are all invited for a night of valuing key business performance and to have fun too.
c) Hackathons and Marathons:
If you are an IT company that breathes and lives by ‘coding’, Hackathon are a good way to engage your employees. The benefits of Hackathon are far and wide. Innovation, collaboration, creativity and problem-solving are all on top display at these events- traits that millennials strive to achieve for or already have in abundance. Apps are not only built for increasing the performance of key company metrics but a social cause can also be promoted. The events span across industries and are no longer reserved for coders and programmers. An all women hackathon is also present.
So what if Hackathons are not your area of interest? Try Marathons. This new age activity literally keeps everyone on their toes and has been in vogue for the last few years. TCS and SBI are proud sponsors of the Marathon events across the country. With employee wellness being a key area of concern in the hectic world today, employees are encouraged to participate in these events from the angle of fitness and social causes too. Employee citizenship is encouraged through such activities. Separate tracks such as “Inter Company Relay” are also hosted to promote the spirit of competition and pull employees to participate in such events.
d) Stand Up Comedy:
Peter Bergman, CEO of Bergman Partners, a company that strengthens leadership in people and organization, in his Harvard Business Review article spoke about how laughter should be treated as a metric. He argues that we measure all sorts of things that supposedly drive results but not laughter. Laughter increases focus and an employee who is well focussed is quick enough to do his/her tasks. Increase instances where your employees are bound to have a good laugh and it will show on your employee engagement surveys. It can engage a large audience as well.
If you are looking for an interactive, high energy, informative event, a quiz is ideal. Positioned as a mind sport, this employee engagement idea can be used as a great tool for learning as well. All of us are intrinsically curious and a quiz is known to appeal to our curious nature. It is a great platform to showcase our talent and promote the spirit of competition too. It can engage a large workforce as well due to the advent of online tools. You could create an annual exercise where employees are constantly engaged with periodic information that contributes to their holistic development.
The above ideas are a good way to ensure that your employees are constantly engaged and hence the morale of the workforce is at higher levels. According to Hays Global, continuous engagement is a must as engaged employees foster 4.5X revenue.
Check out our infographic on “Key Insights – Employee Engagement and Millenials”.
If you want to know more on how a quiz can engage your employees, feel free to Contact Us.
We live in an age of rapid social interactions. Where a new blog post is obsolete within a few days, one event is quickly forgotten as “the next big thing” arrives. Brand managers need to constantly be on their toes to ensure that their brand remains relevant and is communicating the right message to the right audience.
Times Ascent, the weekly supplement of the Times of India that focuses on Human Resource Development, Employment and Job Opportunities, own an annual brand property called the “Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind”. Conceptualized in 2012, this annual quiz property is in its 4th year and aims to celebrate Engineer’s Day which falls on September 15thevery year. Through a dedicated online and offline presence, Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind has retained its appeal over the years in targeting a community of people.
Let us see what brand managers can pick up from one of India’s biggest quiz property.
Associate your Brand with an Occasion:
When you think of gifting during a festive occasion, you think of Cadbury’s and Archie’s. These brands have taken great care to cultivate the art of gifting during all occasions and have reaped the benefits ever since.
India celebrates 48th Engineer’s Day on September 15th to mark the birth anniversary of Sir M Vishweshwaraiah, the most outstanding Indian Engineer. To celebrate this occasion, Times Ascent created a brand property called “Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind”. With a series of contests and interactions developed during the lead up the occasion, Engineer’s Day has become synonymous with Times Ascent.
Target a Community:
The best way to create a brand presence is to ensure that you initiate targeted communications with your audience. With over 1.5 million students graduating as engineers every year and a substantial chunk of the workforce comprising of engineering professionals, this represented a huge market to create a presence.
Times Ascent carried out reports that were dedicated to the unsung heroes of Modern India, our Engineers. It spoke about how engineers have been in the fore front in nation building and articulated their aspirations, dreams and vision. Additionally, it also featured a noteworthy collection of articles providing right from serious insights on careers to humorous anecdotes on the field. It made sure that they were talking about Engineering to Engineers.
Create a Blended Approach:
Online and offline interactions need to complement each other and ensure that they all communicate the right content.
“AEM 2015” was created as a sub-page of “Times Ascent” in Facebook. A 10 day pre-launch interactions were held on Facebook with innovative contests such as “Our Mastermind Quiz”, “Maximum Invites” and “Maximum Shares”. This ensured that the Mastermind event was a truly social event and attracted the right audience. #aemquiz2015 was the Twitter handle complete with real time updates during the event.
Regional quizzes were held across Bangalore, Chennai, Baroda, Delhi, Pune and Mumbai with National Finals being held at Mumbai. True to its appeal, this event had a turnout of over 150 teams at each city- undoubtedly making it one of India’s biggest corporate quiz events. The questions covered were around the theme of Engineering. Along with core engineering concepts, the quiz had a flavour of general Engineering questions too to ensure maximum engagement.
Treat your Audience Well:
Gratification plays a huge factor when you engage your audience through event based competitions. When your brand is big such as Times, ensure that you live up to that image. Winners were gifted ipad Air, ipad Mini, Mac book Pro and iphone 6- further enhancing the novelty factor associated with the event. 5 star stay for teams qualifying for the National Finals illustrated the care demonstrated by Times Ascent. Nationwide coverage for the participating teams in the print edition provided them with instant recognition.
The above 4 points are the basic factors that any brand can achieve to ensure that they create a buzz and sustain it over the years. Repeated interactions are a must to ensure that your brand has a “share of mind” amongst your target audience. India’s biggest quiz events such as Tata Crucible, Brand Equity, Bournvita Quiz Contest and ESPN School Quiz were all built over the years. Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind is surely on its way to make it to the big league of corporate quiz events.
Times Ascent Enginnering Mastermind 2015 September 16, 2015
In its 4th edition, the Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind, presented by Murugappa Group, was held on September 11thand 12th to commemorate Engineer’s Day on September 15th- the birth anniversary of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, the most outstanding Indian Engineer.
The national level quiz was held across 6 cities and this edition witnessed 2 new host cities- Chennai and Baroda. Bangalore, Delhi, Pune and Mumbai were the other familiar cities.
True to its appeal, this event had a turnout of over 150 teams at each city- undoubtedly making it one of India’s biggest corporate quiz events.
The questions covered were around the theme of Engineering. Along with core engineering concepts, the quiz had a flavour of general Engineering questions too to ensure maximum engagement. While engineering heavyweights such as Robert Bosch, L&T, HCL, Power Grid Corporation made it to the National Finals at Mumbai, this edition saw the rise of entities such as Altair Engineering, ACRi Infotech, Zopper etc battle it out at the Zonal Finals too.
The National Finals held on September 12th witnessed a tense battle between the following teams:-
Robert Bosch (Bangalore Zonal Winners)
HCL Technologies (Chennai Zonal Winners)
Edelweiss (Mumbai Zonal Winners)
KPMG (Pune Zonal Winners)
Power Grid Corporation (Delhi Zonal Winners)
L&T (Baroda Zonal Winners)
The national quiz was eventually won by HCL Technologies followed by Edelweiss. QuizWorks, the official quizzing partner of Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind, hosted the events across all cities with its eminent roster of quizmasters such as Raj Dam and Runal Dahiwade.
Check out the FB page at https://www.facebook.com/timesascent?fref=ts
Check out the Twitter Handle at https://twitter.com/hashtag/aemquiz2015
Innovation Quiz – Corporates battle it out at 3M August 21, 2015
‘Innovation’ is no longer a catch phrase, it has quickly transitioned from a ‘good to have’ to a ‘must have’. More and more businesses are investing time, effort and money to come up with innovative practices and products.
3M, the $30 bn American conglomerate, has been a leader in innovation, from its humble beginnings in mining to its current portfolio of 55,000 + products spanning a plethora of applications ranging from building solutions and electronics to healthcare and car care products.
3M recently hosted an innovation conclave in its Bangalore offices. Some of the brightest from 3M, Bosch, Titan, SAP and Café Coffee Day brainstormed and discussed innovative practices over a 2 day period. QuizWorks joined the conclave with a customized innovation themed quiz contest designed for the attendees.
Our idea was to challenge the bright minds, build teamwork and impart learning through a fun and engaging approach. We were thrilled to see the tremendous energy levels and active participation from the attendees, not so typical of a session post lunch! The competitive spirit notwithstanding, the event had its share of jovial banter!
Sharing a couple of questions from the event, you can post your answers in the comments section.
- During World War II, when rice was in short supply, MTR experimented in making idli using semolina and created this famous dish.
What did they invent?
- In 1945, Percy Spencer, an American engineer, was working on an active radar set and he noticed that a chocolate bar kept in his pocket started to melt.
What did he invent thus, often credited as an accidental discovery to him?
Check what Shreeraj, Manager – Learning & OD at 3M India, had to say about the event:-
Biz Quiz at High Street Phoenix, Mumbai June 13, 2015
High Street Phoenix Mall in Lower Parel, Mumbai organized a ‘Biz Quiz’ with an aim to engage corporates from all sectors. Being a mall that houses premium fashion and retail brands of the world, the quiz was created around fashion, retail, pop culture, brands etc to promote ‘in-mall’ recall. High Street Phoenix partnered with QuizWorks- India’s premier quizzing company – to execute the event. Over 100 teams participated in the event held on July 10th, 2015.
Speaking about the event objective, Raj Dam, Founder, QuizWorks said: “Many corporate houses are based in and around the Lower Parel area. The neighbourhood therefore has a huge corporate crowd. To enhance their brand salience High Street Phoenix wanted to reach out to this community to increase footfalls at the mall. This activity was designed to attract and engage the corporate community.”
To generate pre-event buzz and serve as a registration tool, an online quiz was designed and promoted on FB pages. On the day of the event, participants were divided into teams of two for the preliminary written round. Top three teams from the written round, along with two wild card entry teams, battled it out in the grand finale. Runal Dahiwade, the face of Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind, was the host of the quiz. The event, with a high contestant and audience connect, featured Grand Prize worth Rs. 1 lakh, 2nd prize worth Rs. 60,000 and 3rd Prize worth Rs. 40,000.
The event was promoted through e-mailers, social media channels and poster drive around Lower Parel Area.
Here’s a glimpse!
Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind Quiz 2013 October 5, 2013
What happens when you bring the finest minds in Engineering at one place? One thing for certain is an electric atmosphere. To celebrate Engineer’s day, commemorated annually on September 15th, Ascent Engineering Mastermind Challenge”. Ascent Engineering Mastermind is India’s biggest Inter Corporate Quiz for engineers which intend to bring together the brightest engineering minds in the country competing in a battle of wits. Teams of 2 participants competed in the zonal rounds in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Pune and winning teams from each city qualified for the National Finals in Mumbai. QuizWorks was approached by Times Ascent to design and execute the event in terms of content development and hosting. This year’s edition witnessed a new city, Pune, in addition to Bangalore, Delhi and Mumbai- 3 cities that had also hosted the inaugural edition in 2012. The addition of a new city illustrates the stature of this event. The event was presented by Aditya Birla Group with VMWare as Platinum Partners, Allied Digital and Wipro as Associate Partners.
The event was promoted through print media and online media, primarily through Facebook. As a teaser to the offline event, an online contest was open to the general public through Ascent’s Facebook App. Over 1000 people took part in this contest. During the Zonal Rounds, a preliminary round was conducted to choose the top 4 teams that would battle it out at the Zonal Finals in each location. Zonal Finals consisted of 4 rounds of intense quizzing held at big auditoriums to accommodate the huge crowds. The stage set up was a work of art with good lighting systems and backdrop that contributed to the electric atmosphere. The regional rounds contained few questions catering to the local city that drew loud cheers from all present at the venues. Local quizmasters from QuizWorks enthralled the audience with their charisma and witty remarks. The competition was tight across all locations and eventually Genpact from Delhi, Infosys from Pune, Texas Instruments from Bangalore and TCS from Mumbai squared off for the National Finals at , all engineering professionals were invited to participate in the “Times
The stakes were increased during the National Finals by having innovative rounds such as Bidding and “Choose Your Topics” where teams were encouraged to be aggressive.
Ultimately, it was the team from Genpact that had the last laugh as they comprehensively outplayed all other teams with TCS finishing runners up. Winners were treated to a range of electronic gadgets like MacBook Air, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Play Station 3 and many
The National Finals was hosted by Raj Dam of QuizWorks- a renowned quizmaster in the quizzing circle. This quiz was made exclusively for the engineers- engineered and powered by QuizWorks. With its high engaging factor, this initiative is surely set to expand to other cities in the coming editions and is undoubtedly the biggest platform for engineers to showcase their knowledge.
Kiwi Mastermind India Quiz 2013 July 21, 2013
Edu Nz, which is the lead marketing organization of New Zealand’s education industry overseas, organized two fairs during the month of April in Pune and Kochi. To develop a buzz around these fairs, QuizWorks hosted an online plus offline quiz contest called “Kiwi Mastermind India”. The online contests were featured on the Facebook pages of QuizWorks, EduNz and kiwimastermindia.com. Over 1000 people participated in these contests that carried a flavor of NewZealand Heritage too. The quizzing sessions were also extended to offline events.
On April 6th in Kochi, QuizWorks quiz master, conducted the offline event of “KiwiMastermind India” that had over 100 teams participating in the prelims. With its engaging content, the event was a rousing success. With the benchmark having been set, the caravan moved to Pune a week later where Mr. Harneet Singh, an experienced quizmaster of QuizWorks dazzled the audience with his witty one-liners. Both the quiz events featured questions that paid tribute to the rich heritage of New Zealand. And it was a treat to watch our young Indian students crack these!!! The expression on their faces said it all and winners were awarded with goodie bags, pen drives, trophies and yes, the honour of proclaiming themselves as “Kiwi Masterminds”.
BioQuiz, a quiz event aimed at creating awareness in the field of bio-technology, was conducted during the month of January and February, 2013 across 4 cities in Karnataka. The quiz event was organized by the Department of IT, BT, Science and Technology, Government of Karnataka and was conducted by QuizWorks. The objective of the quiz was to create awareness and help students understand Science and Biotechnology in a more comprehensive manner by keeping them abreast of the latest developments in the world of Biotechnology. This quiz is undoubtedly India’s largest state level BioQuiz with prize money of Rs 75000 at stake for the State Champions.
With over 600 teams participating across all 4 cities i.e. Bangalore, Mysore, Belgaum and Mangalore, the event was a huge success. The quiz event was ably conducted by our very own quizmasters. Their enthusiasm kept the contestants on their feet and the audience was treated to prizes as well when it was their turn to answer. This edition saw the largest ever turnout in the event’s 4 year history and one can be assured that the event will only get bigger in the coming years by spreading to various regions in the state. QuizWorks has been associated with this quiz event since 2011 and has conducted the competition with its trademark flair.
Find below questions from the previous edition of the BioQuiz:-
Date – 24th March 2013
Venue – Taj Palace, New Delhi
In the new format of Crucibles, the teams winning their regional rounds had to compete at the Zonal Finals to reach National Finals in Mumbai. So after FMS Delhi won their Delhi round, they were met by seven other teams from the different cities of Northern India in the Zonal Finals. PickBrain beagn the North Zone finals with a quick recap of all eight teams. The regional rounds in North had seen some of the highest scores of the winning teams in their respective cities so PickBrain hinted that the North Zone Finals would be a tough and challenging battle and he was proved absolutely right.
The 8 teams in Zonal Finals were –
1) Mata Vaishno Devi University, Jammu – Vedanta and Karan
2) Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow – Arjun and Shounak
3) National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar – Milind and Sujit
4) LNM Institute of Information Technology, Jaipur – Dheeraj and Nikhil
5) Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research (IISER), Mohali – Abhishek and Shivam
6) Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani – Aditya and Sreejan
7) Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Ghaziabad – Leo Thomas and Kaustubha
8) Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi – Arun and Hemant
The whole Zonal Finals were on buzzer ensuring that the teams would have to be on their nerves to win the quiz.
- In 1984, Warner sold the home computing and game console divisions of _________ to Tramiel for $50 cash and $240 million in promissory notes and stocks, giving Warner a 20% stake in _______ Corporation. FITB.
- Advertisements of which product have seen these changes in the past – “100 percent use of aspartame”to “100 percent NutraSweet”to “Sweetened With Splenda”?
Ans:- Diet Coke
- Heroes is a confectionery brand launched by Cadbury as response to which brand of Mars Inc?
- Trademark of Hasbro Inc. what is defined as a geometric drawing toy that produces mathematical roulette curves of the variety technically known as hypotrochoids and epitrochoids?
- What in the world of Tatas is Malabar Princess?
Ans:- First Plane of Air India started as Tata Airlines
- Which group of Tata companies sponsors the F1 player Narain Karthikeyan?
Ans.:- Tata Tea or Tata Global Beverages
- HCM, a new cloud based service has been introduced by Tata Docomo. Expand HCM.
Ans:- Hosted Campaign Manager
- It was created as a joint venture between the Tata group and X in 1989. However, X went out of business in the early 1990s but the Tata group retained the X name as part of the Tata group of companies. Which Tata group of companies is being talked about?
Ans:- Tata Elxsi
This was the most interesting and unique round of the quiz. In this round, every question had four images and a formula attached with it. The teams had to identify the four visuals and fit them into formula to get the mega-answer.
- The four visuals –
ZooZoos + Logo of Novartis + Eric Schmidt (Current CEO) + Jeffrey Immelt (Current CEO)
Formula – F-3 , V-2 , E-2 , I +1
Ans : vOdafone + Novartis + gooGle + general electriC = ONGC
- The four visuals –
Research In Motion Logo + Archies Logo + Burger King Logo + Suzlon Logo
Formula – C+2 , S-3 , R+2 , N-2
Ans : blackBerry + arcHies + burgEr + suzLon = BHEL
- The four visuals –
Walmart Logo + Sony Playstation + Samsung Logo + Calvin Klein Logo
Formula – T-3 , N-3 , M+3 , C+2
Ans : walMart + playstaTion + samsuNg + caLvin = MTNL
At the end of the the quiz, the scoreboard or the CQ – Crucible Quotient read as :
MVDU, Jammu – 5
IIM, Lucknow – 5
NIT, Jalandhar – 10
LNMIIT, Jaipur – 15
IIISER, Mohali – (-ve) 5
BITS, Pilani – 10
IMT, Ghaziabad – 50
FMS, Delhi – 30
IMT Ghaziabad were the last team on scoreboard with a negative of -10 at one point but they staged an outstanding comeback and won the Zonal Finals. FMS Delhi took an early lead in the quiz with 30 points and played safe in the later rounds without taking any risk.
Two teams from North Zone reached National Finals – IMT Ghaziabad and FMS Delhi.
Tata Crucible Campus Edition [email protected] March 26, 2013
Venue:- Taj Palace
Date:- March 24th
- On which airline would you find “On the wings of dragon”?
Ans:- Royal Bhutan Airways/ Druk Air
- Which company ran a social media campaign recently “Your name on a Bean”?
- Simon, launched in 1992 was a part mobile phone, part PDA, part pager and part fax machine. Which technology giant launched this device?
- Who is the author of “Essays on The Great Depression”?
Ans:- Ben Bernanke
- Ganesh & Ratan Jain founded this as a cassette company in the early 1980s. It was quite popular during the 80s & 90s. Which brand from the music industry are we referring to?
- Which company has launched a new JV in the Indian market branded as “Telewings Communication” with Sudhir Valia’s Lakshdweep Investments & Finance as its partner?
- This US University is named after a fervid Anglican who served in the British East India Company as the Governor of Fort St. George of Madras. In 1718 he donated nine bales of goods to build the new building of that college which eventually renamed the college after him. Which University are we talking about here?
Ans:- Yale University
- Which Indian group bought 49.5% in BPO Firstsource for Rs. 400 crore from ICICI Bank?
Ans:- RPG Group
- “No matter what you want to do in life. Life takes” Ad by which credit card franchise?
- In world of environmental legislation parlance, what does WEEE stand for?
Ans:- Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment
- TTK group & Reckitt Benckiser are going through a legal battle over control of their JV TTK-LIG. Expand LIG.
Ans:- London International Group
- Britain’s Penguin Books and another English language publisher recently decided to merge. Which another publisher?
- With which coffee chain’s origin was Amit Judge-controlled Turner Morrison involved in? The company has changed hands since being acquired by an Italian company. Identify.
Ans:- Barista Lavazza
- Nokia’s wireless charging device for Lumia 920 ran into controversy over naming over the bombing of Japanese cities Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Name the device.
- This company was incorporated in 1997 as “Teleworld, Inc.” by Jim Barton & Mike Ramsay. Which company involved in the field of digital video systems?
- Who owns the ships The Esperanza, The Arctic Sunriseand The Rainbow Warrior III?
Ans:- Greenpeace Organisation
- Robert L “Rusty” White called Twentieth Century Confederate in order to advertise his collection of Rolls Royce & Civil War memorabilia. Which is this luxury lifestyle magazine?
Ans:- Robb Report
- Through the “Million Minds” project, this German chemical company is encouraging the citizens to take a stand against corruption. Which company?
- Ishit Gupta & Chirag Jain: Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies
- Kumar Varun & Raveesh Mayya: FMS, DU
- Gaurav & Sapan Gandhi: School of Inspired Leadership
- Anuj & Himanshu: IIFT
- Sunil & Rachit: JNU
- Arun TP & Hemant Agrawal: FMS, DU
- Which organisation has developed “High Bandwidth Content Protection”?
- Mission Nutrition, Talking Tony, Coco the Monkey are games by which company?
- “Ridotto” is a wing of Venice’s San Moise Palace. In 1638, it was converted at the behest of city leaders into government owned _____. It is the earliest example of such type. What?
- In April 2011, Kiwi shoe-care business was sold to S.C. Johnson by which company?
Ans:- Sara Lee Corporation
- Tata Docomo has CRBT. What does it stand for?
Ans:- Caller Ring Back Tone
- Where is theTata Dhan Academy for development management training and education located?
- E&E Service solution, a TATA company, serves in which line of business?
Ans:- HR Outsourcing
- Mega, Zip, Kiosk stores are formats of which chain?
Winners: Arun TP & Hemant Agrawal: FMS, DU (Score 50)
Runner ups: Kumar Varun & Raveesh Mayya: FMS, DU (Score 35)
Tata Crucible Campus Edition [email protected] March 25, 2013
Venue:- NIMHANS CONVENTION CENTRE
Date:- March 23rd
Some quizzes are great due to the content they carry. Some quizzes are great due to the sheer presence of an entertaining quizmaster. Some quizzes are great due to the magnitude of prizes. One quiz that packs them all together is the TATA CRUCIBLE CAMPUS EDITION. The presence of 240 teams at this years edition bears testimony to the fact that this is the ultimate business quiz. Bangalore has always witnessed tight finishes at such events and it was no different this year when the defending Bangalore champions IIM-B staged a comeback and pipped BMS College of Engineering in a tie-breaker to book their place in the zonal finals. It is another matter that they steamrolled their way into the national finals with a comfortable win at the zonal finals. Here are the prelims questions:-
- The Live Brilliant global brand campaign was started in 2012. It was an extension of the ”Modern Premium” way of thinking. Which company is behind this campaign?
- Which multinational pharmaceutical company has a blog called “LABTALK”?
Ans:- Aditya Puri
- Which company’s first logo had a woman sewing in picture and a capital S?
Ans:- TK Kurien
- ____ is the holding company of A&W, All American Food Restaurants and Long John Silver.
Ans:- Yum! Brands
- “The Little Book Things” is a book written by which famous management guru?
Ans:- Tom Peters
- Hello Money- the revolutionary mobile banking service is to be introduced in India by which bank?
- Which company launched BoxTV.com recently- a concept similar to that of Hulu.com and Netfilx?
Ans:- Times Of India
- Which is the corporate wing of ISRO with clients such as Star News, NDTV, Boeing, TV18, EADS, Aaj Tak, CNBC TV 18 etc?
- Horizon Ventures, a Hong Kong based company, focused on early stage funding in companies in field of telecommunications, media and technology. Its notable investments are Facebook and Spotify. Who is the owner of Horizon Ventures?
Ans:- Li Ka-shing’s
- Which Indian was involved in the “garbage gate” scandal?
Ans:- LN Mittal
- Which famous guru wrote the book “The Leader in Me- How schools and Parents around the world are inspiring greatness”?
Ans:- Steven Convey
- Which of these ad gurus coined the “Only Vimal” slogan and Raymond’s “Guide to the Well Dressed Man”? a) Piyush Pandey b) Frank Simoes c) Alyquee Padmasee
Ans:- Frank Simoes
- Which company is behind the “camapignforallrealbeauty.com”?
- “Where have all the leaders gone” is a book by which legendary Auto-Executive?
Ans:- Lee Iacocca
- Born on May 27, 1794, this person began a passenger service with one steam boat. It was provided as a ferry to the Railways. He went on to control the Hudson River Traffic and built the first rail service between New York and Chicago. Who are we talking about?
Ans:- Cornelius Vanderbilt
- Which online ticketing platform was established by Phanindra Sama, Sudhakar Pasupunuri and Charan Padmaraju?
- Which is the flagship retail store of Mahindra that deals with infant and maternity care?
- Identify the advertiser.
Ans:- The Economist
- Back in 1966,. this person was credited with creating the European neck tie.
Ans:- Ralph Lauren
- A division of United Technologies, it focuses on commercial refrigeration.
- “To rise around the world from Asia” is the tagline of ___
Ans:- KIA motors
- Founded in 1907, with Swedish Patent 25406, its expertise is in rail bearing.
Ans:- SKF Group
- This brand has ranges such as Xeno, Cool Waters.
- Started as an app by Keith Shepherd and Natalia Luckyanova and developed by Imangi Studios
Ans:- Temple Run
- The trademark is usually written in the classical Latin Alphabet (where V = English U), and is derived from the surname of the company’s Greek founder, Sotirios Voulgaris
- Its subsidiaries are Canal+ and Universal Music Group
Top 6 teams to qualify for the finals were:-
- MES Degree College
- East West Institute of Technology
- What is the significance of this image with respect to Greenpeace?
Ans:- Their symbolic protest against Kimberly Clarke for continued destruction of forests. endangering the orangutans, while producing Kleenex tissues
- Arla Foods undertook a repackaging exercise to commemorate what?
Ans:- To commemorate “Earth Hour”
- Identify the blank
- What is this practice called as?
- Who is the advertiser?
Ans:- Old Spice
- Which company?
Ans:- Bubba Gump company that appears in the movie “Forrest Gump”
- Vidica, a natural mountain water, is an ingredient for which Indian mineral water company?
- Founded in 1939 as an electronics company, it was formed as a merger of Shibaru and Denki.
- This company is now a business unit of Mc Graw Hill that is into marker research
Ans:- JD Power Associates
- Milton Bradley, Playskool and Parker Brothers are all owned by?
- What did PT John develop for TATA?
- Founded in 1968 to manufacture steel mill rolls.
Ans:- Tayo Rolls
- VOLTAS was taken over from TATA’s in 1997 and returned to them in 2003. Which group briefly owned them?
- Premium Granite is a subsidiary of this company which is into electrical manufacturing.
Clue 1: When King Edward visited Madras, they had the sole right to supply their products to him
Clue 2:- Its first publication ‘Sweet Dishes: A little Treatise on Confectionary’ by Wyvern came out in 1884.
Clue 3:- Ownership has changed twice from Associated Publishers to Amalgamated Group.
Ans:- Higgin Bothams
Clue 1:- It was established in Bangalore in 1940 by Seth Walchand Hirachan to produce military aircraft and was encouraged by the Kingdom of Mysore.
Clue 1:- Established in 1950’s, it was the first restaurant to have a jazz band and an air-conditionig hall
Ans:- Koshys restaurant
- An ex-American army man who went on to create “Polo”
Ans:- Ralph Lauren
Tata Crucible Campus Edition [email protected] Zonal Finals March 25, 2013
Venue:- NIMHANS CONVENTION CENTRE
Date:- March 23rd
In a new format, the winning teams from South Indian cities squared off in the Zonal Finals. The stakes were increased and the fact that all questions were played on buzzer gave no rest to the teams. IIM-Bangalore, who had just made it through to the Zonals by the closest of the margins, were impressive from the start and were never in pressure. The battle was left for the second spot- 5 teams were still with a chance of securing a place in the National Finals. That honour eventually went to ICAI, Chennai. These were the teams at the Zonal finals:-
Sastra University, Trichy
Amrita School of Engg, Kovai
Some of the questions were:-
- Which Portuguese agent has Jose Mourinho, Angel Di Maria and Cristanio Ronaldo as his agents?
Ans:- Jorge Mendez
- Which singer established “AudioTrax”?
- It is a new field of Market Research that studies consumers’ sensorimotor, cognitive, and affective response to marketing stimuli.
Ans:- Neuro Marketing
- An Estee Lauder brand, it became the first women’s cosmetic company to launch a line called “Skin Supplies for Men”
- Envisaging bio-units in the Kutch area, Project Annapurna is an initiative by which company?
Ans:- TATA POWER
- TATA MOTORS and Chevy Motors are in a joint venture to produce Land Rover in which country?
- NREC was a TATA company in 1940 when it enjoyed huge success for producing 3 valve radios that was popularly called as “People’s Set”. Expand NREC.
Ans:- National Radio Equipment Company
- “Heartbreak of a trust” is a book by?
Ans:- RM Lala
Tata Crucible Campus Edition 2013 at Guwahati March 14, 2013
The Guwahati edition was held on March, 12th. The following were the questions asked from the prelims round:-
- Connect Mark Hurd, Leo Apotheker, Meg Whitman.
- Who is the person behind the designing of the Coca Cola ad campaign ‘Thanda matlab Coca Cola’ with Aamir Khan?
Ans:- Prasoon Joshi
- In 2009, News Corporation restricted which T.V. group into 4 units– _India, _Greater China, _select and Fox International Channels Asia
- In July 2011, which company bought the US based managed Ethernet and apps delivery service company Yipis enterprise service for a cash amount 1200 crore?
- The Interpublic Group Publics, Omnicom and which other company are considered as the big four agency (advertising) holdings corporate
- Which company has the punch line ‘First in Business Worldwide’?
Whose flagship online music portal Gaana.com is now available as an app for android, IOS, Blackberry?
Ans:- Indian Times
- Which internet major closed Buzz, My Blog log and numerous other products on 21stApril 2011?
- Which Indian stationary company began with the ‘horse brand’?
- What is common to a famous landmark bridge in the USA and an IT company?
Ans:- CISCO (the landmark is the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco)
- Which company supplies tyre for NASCAR car rally?
- ‘Welcome Break’ is the tagline of which company?
- Which Indian media and entertainment company was founded by Ronnie Screwala?
- In 1979 which company came up with ‘Free Cone Day’?
Ans:- Baskin and Robbins
- Bharat Swatis are training planes built by which heavy electrical company in India?
- ‘Is this the only thing you can leave behind’ was used by
Ans:- Incredible India
Few questions asked in the FINALS:-
- VEYRON 16.4 is a mid engine grand car by which company?
- BORSE is a stock exchange in which European nation?
- How do we better know ‘Canary Yellow Stickies’?
Ans:- Post it notes
- In 1881 an A.C. alternator was powered for street lighting in UK. Who were the manufacturers?
- ‘Work in Progress’ is the autobiography of?
Ans:- Walt Disney
- Which company technically means ‘ROLL’?
- Benkin, Shaggy tunes were made popular by which brand?
- Which consulting firm trademarked ‘learning curve’?
Ans:- Boston Consulting Group
- Powerfly is a new aviation initiative by Taj with which person?
Ans:- Capt. Gopinath
- ‘Banker to every Indian’ is the tagline of which bank?
Ans:- State Bank of India
- Which Arabic word meaning “tower” was trademarked?
- Dinesh, Ashok Arora, Raghavan are co-founders of which company?
- Famous invention of which company include magnetic strip, artificial intelligence, hard disk drive?
- To commemorate the centenary birth anniversary of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru what did Indian Railways do?
Ans:- Started Shatabdi Express
- ‘Beautiful you, today, tomorrow’ is the tagline of?
Ans:- ITC Fiama Di Wills
- What term, that was used as a suffix in the naming of the trains, was implemented by Indian railways when the country started progressing?
- Which company innovated and created a new type of talking shoes?
- In telecom world what does LTE stand for?
Ans:- Long term Evolution
- Which organisation would you associate Arctic Sunrise, Rainbow Warriors, Esperanza?
Ans:- Green Peace
- Which word is a synonym for high yielding coffee?
Ans:- Mocha chino
- ‘Anything constructed can be taken apart…. How to construct and reconstruct’ is the tagline of?
Ans:- Lego Toys
- ‘Fashion starts here’ is the tagline of?
- What does TMT stand for in TISCON TMT?
Ans:- Thermo Mechanically Treated
- Which company from TATA is to manufacture biometric cars in West Bengal?
- Vriti are online courses for management offered by?
Ans:- TATA McGrawhill
Tata Crucible Campus Edition 2013 at Jamshedpur March 14, 2013
Exhilarating. Exuberant.Exciting. 3 words to sum up TATA Crucible at Jamshepdur. According to Picbrain, clad in an ethnic red kurta, the cutoff for Jamshedpur prelims was the highest this year,yet. And due to very tough competition ( the difference in prelim scores between the top 16 teams was just 1 mark), the quizmaster decided to have two wild card rounds!
The teams that made up to the finals were:
and two teams from XLRI
XLRI emerged as the winner, scoring in each and every round consistently, follwed by IIM Ranchi. XLRI, despite knowing the last answer, kept their hands off the buzzer to let the other teams fight for the second spot-a true quizzing spirit!
And now all the questions:-
- Which production company has recently made great profits from its two movies- Dabangg and Dabangg 2 ?
Ans: Arbaaz Khan Productions
- Which MaharAtna company in India began in 1975 as a holding company and has the following subsidiaries:
Ans:- Coal India
- Book by?
Ans : Howard Schultz
- Nelson Rockfeller founded a oil distribution company in 1870 that grew to be the worlds first major MNC. The company controlled 90% of the oil trade in America by the 1890s and caused the US government to create antitrust laws to breach its monopoly. Which company?
Ans: Standard Oil
- Identify the logo
- “Versatile by Nature” is the tagline of which automobile major?
- When asked by a HUL employee he said, “I don’t want to start a flurry of excitement by saying I use Pears soap or whatever it is. I might get some of your brands wrong and mention the dishwasher liquid we use and find it’s made by your competition”. Who said these words?
Ans:- David Cameroon
- What is the Full form of FRMB Act
Ans: Fiscal Responsibilty and Budget Management Act
- What is named after a German word for hear and was started by August Horsch?
- Identify the person
Ans:- Donald Trump
- Which company was formerly known as RACAL telecom with Arun Sarin as its Ex-Ceo?
- ColdFusion ,Dreamweaver are products created by this company. The word means sun dried bricks or buildings made from such bricks. Identify the company.
- With which ayurvedic major in India would you associate the brand Narayani?
- Who is iGate corporation’s CEO?
Ans:- Phaneesh Murty
- Bubblegum, Mentos, Centrefresh are owned by which company ?
Ans:- Perfetti Van Melle
- “The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going”. Id the ad campaign
Ans:- Jhonnie Walker
- Banks in India are moving towards CTS. What is CTS ? ( in the context of cheques)
Ans: Cheque Truncation System
India’s first monorail was successfully tested and would become operational in August in which city?
- Which global media company owns the Penguin group?
Ans: Pearson Media Group
- Bajate Raho is the tagline of which radio station?
Ans: Red FM
- Whose registered office is called as “Cement House”?
- x is the flagship company of the Wadia Group engaged mainly into the business of Textiles.
Ans: Bombay Dyeing
- Which company makes Monopoly?
- What is iShakti?
Ans:- Fortified Dals by Tata Chemicals
- Which company, promoted by TATA, has adopted a strategy called “Big Bang” to transform its business?
- Club West is a rewards programme designed by which retailer?
- Who is the Head of Tata Global Beverages?
Ans: Harish Bhat
Q1. X was started out as Dial Square in 1886 by workers in Woolwich, south-east London, and was renamed Royal ________
Ans: Arsenal FC
Q2. The company was founded in 1946 as a producer of wooden floats for fishing nets. Its products are known as vcore, arc saber, voltic 80.
Q3. Marble white, pebble blue, garnet red , titanium grey are the different colours available in which instrument?
Ans: Samsung Galaxy S3
Tata Crucible Campus Edition 2013 at Ahmedabad March 11, 2013
The Ahmedabad edition of Tata Crucible Campus Quiz 2013 was held at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad on 9th March. About 260 teams representing institutions from almost every field of study participated in this round, and is by far the largest participation in the history of Tata Crucible held at the city.
The teams which made it to the top 6 were as follows:
- Neha Damle & Ashish Jain [MICA]
- Jayraj & Bhumil [ICAI]
- Shayak Chakroborty & Rahul Dave [GNLU]
- Amit Das & Soumyadipta Chanda [GNLU]
- Abhishek Rane & Abhimanyu Roy [MICA]
- MVR Murthy & Manish [IIM-A]
Questions from Prelims:
- Which pharmaceutical company gets its name from Latin for “new sciences”?
- Which premium sanitary and bath accessories manufacturing company has a tagline “Too good to resist”?
- Ad for?
- Which recently launched product was released with the tagline “Create the best group photo, use a ________”?
Nokia Lumia 920
- What portfolio does Manish Tiwari hold in in the central government?
Information & Broadcasting
- Who is the Deputy Governor of the RBI?
- Which luxury brand showcased all their products on Twitter before actually displaying on runway?
- Polaroid launched a set of camera sunglasses with two embedded 1.5″ LCD displays as a part of its Grey Label collection. Which artist has been asked to assist in its creation?
- Logo of?
- What is the name of India’s premier online movies on demand service?
- Haribhai V Desai initiated the business operations of which leading pickle manufacturing brand in 1901 from Pune?
- ‘Straight from the Gut’ and ‘Winning’ are books by which management thinker?
- Wonderbook is an augmented reality book launched by which gaming equipment manufacturer?
- “Always Amazes You” is the promotional slogan for tourism department of which country?
- Logo of which automobile major?
- Which company having a Roman Gladiator as its logo has a 13.55% stake in it owned by Berkshire Hathway?
- Who owns Grupo Carso, Telmex and América Móvil?
- Which studio is the developer of Temple Run?
- Which brand started by selling truffle balls and has appointed Roger Federer as its brand ambassador in 2012?
The finals saw the MICA team of Ashish and Neha take an early lead with back to back answers and a lot of entertainment ensued after some interesting answers being given by the teams, including a hilarious take on the dry status of Gujarat by Pickbrain on an answer by the IIM-A team and one with the secret formula of Coca Cola being moved into a secret vault answered by GNLU. The lateral connect round saw some fantastic answers by MICA, which further increased their lead. The TATA round saw the other MICA team of Abhishek & Abhimanyu take calculated guesses and earn some vital points. A new introduction in this year’s edition was a round with four visuals with a word to be decoded from the hints provided. MICA made a brilliant first move and steered way ahead of the competitors in this round while the team from ICAI and second team from MICA were tied for the second spot. The final round saw the ICAI team finishing runners-up with an adrenaline-pumping answer off the last question.
Winners: Neha Damle & Ashish Jain [MICA]
Runners up: Jayraj & Bhumil [ICAI]
Tata Crucible Campus Edition 2013 at Chandigarh March 4, 2013
- What is the full form of PDF ?
Ans:- Picture Document Format.
- Which tech giant ran a campaign titled “Life without wall”?
- Identify the personality
Ans:- Ingvar Kampard
The township of Menlo Park, New Jersey was renamed in 1954 to honour which American Inventor ?
Ans:- Thomas Edison
- Identify this managment guru
Which low cost airline has its headquarters in Gurgaon ?
- This company traces its origin to 1945 when it was started by 3 people, including Gulam Mohammad who went on to become the 1stFinance Minister of Pakistan. Which company are we talking about?
- Expand IEEE
Ans:- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Natty Narwahal is the latest version of what
- Which country would you link with the following slogan:- “I care less about the GNP and more about the gross national happiness “
- Which famous Indian is planning to launch 500 schools under the name ABAPS ?
Ans:- Abhinav Bindra
- Which city has overtaken Las Vegas in term of Revenue from Casinos?
- India comes home in ___________
- Known as Omini, it is a silhouette of a man and woman sitting back to back to nude. What are we talking about?
Ans:- Logo of Kappa
- Jaspal Bhatti, an electrical engineer, became a cartoonist for which daily ?
Ans:- The Tribune
- How do we better know Badruddin Jamaluddin Kazi?
Johnny Walker (the actor)
- Identify the author
Ans:- Jim Collins
- If Currency of China is Yuan then what is the currency of Hong Kong ?
Ans:- Hong Kong Dollar
[email protected] January 21, 2013
It is a foregone conclusion in the quizzing circles that Bangalore will always witness intense competition in any quiz event. Be it the Tata Crucible or Brand Equity, the contest has gone down right to the wire. It was no different at this year’s Cerebration organised by The Hindu Business Line. The great display of knowledge by the contestants was a treat to watch and was worth spending 4 hours on a Sunday. A 3 way tie breaker is a rare occurrence but that’s what happened yesterday. The experienced duo of Mitesh Agarwal and Yagnyeshwaran from Oracle pipped the team from ING Vysya and IIM-A in a shootout of 5 questions to emerge the winners at the Bangalore round. What made the victory more astonishing was the fact that Oracle were yet to score after first 2 rounds in the finals. Once the buzzer rounds started, they just fired away with their quick shot responses. Oracle eventually finished on 48 points followed by ING Vysya (47) and IIM-A (46).
Top 6 teams who qualified for the Finals:-
Mahesh & Vinod- HSBC
Sanjay & Sashikanth- Attra Infotech
Mitesh & Yagnyeshwaran- Oracle
Vipul & Aniketh- Life is oustide
Prasad & Samrat- ING Vysya
Kalai & Nishanth- IIM-A
- Which Indian brand organizes Tress Talk- a series of hair care workshops in India?
Ans:- Fiame Di Wills
- Which popular Indian fashion designer duo launched a book titled “Indian Fantastique 2012″- celebrating 25 years of their association?
Ans:- Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla
- Whose logo?
- Who will be released from FCI Butner Medium, where he is imprisoned, on November 14th, 2139?
Ans:- Bernie Madoff
- Which painter painted the packets of ITC Flake in 2012?
Ans:- Paresh Maity
- Whose logo?
- With which computer hardware company would you associate the tagline of “Your eyeball view, our technology new”?
- Which Swiss company makes Monaco chronograph, Reflex sunglasses and Meredist mobile phones?
- Which music company, founded by Troy Carter, manages Lady Gaga and Priyanka Chopra?
Ans:- Atom Factory
- Whose ad campaign?
Ans:- Sakala (Government of Karnataka’s initiative aimed at delivering services within the stipulated time)
- Which football club tops the 2012 Forbes list of “most valuable football clubs” in the world?
Ans:- Manchester United
Ans:- Jim Yong Kim (President of World Bank)
- By what name was the court case fought by Helen Steel and David Morris against McDonald’s known as?
Ans:- Mc Libel
- Which travel company got its name when its founder mistook a line from the song “Space Captain” by Joe Crocker?
Ans:- Lonely Planet
- What online service was started by A.R. Rahman and Shekar Kapur?
- The family motto of which banking family is “Concordia, Integritas, Industria”?
- Which cookie, by NABISCO, celebrated its 100 years of existence in 2012?
Ans:- Nitesh Shetty
- Which company’s origins can be traced to a piano and a reed organ maker?
- Which food venture has brand such as “Asia in a Box” and “Rolling Pins”?
Ans:- Thulp Foods
Round 1:- Roots&Shoots
- Who is behind the search engine called “Wiredoo” with its tagline “Search once and see how its related”?
Ans:- Stanley Kirk/MC Hammer
- Which famous leader started a clothing company in 1919 with Edward Jakobson in Kansas City? The clothing store could not survive the economic downturn of the 20’s and closed down- making him bankrupt and heavily indebted.
Ans:- Harry S Truman
- For what specific reason did the India Burma Petroleum start its cryogenic division?
Ans:- To provide cold storage facilities for preserving cow semen during “Operation Flood”
- In 2012, this brand sponsored an excavation of a shipwreck in the coast of Panama. They believed that the wreckage and the hull was symbolic to the brand’s history that they strongly associated with. Which brand?
Ans:- Captain Morgan
- “Green Gold” is a company founded by Rajiv Chilaka. What do they produce in association with Ted Turner?
Ans:- Chhota Bheem
- The construct of this logo is based on the fact that it carries an emotional response across all boundaries. It is chararcterised by a bird in flight- unrestricted and unhindered. Choice of colours are yellow and red. Red denotes energy, passion and commitment. Yellow denotes joy and happiness. Whose logo?
Ans:- India Post
ROUND 2:- WINDOWS
- Connect this image to Starbucks
Ans:- The person is Mr. Horniman. The first Starbucks store in India was opened at the Horniman circle in Mumbai.
- Connect USADA, Coca Cola, Stepan Chemicals, Mallinckrodt
Ans:- USADA allows the import of certain drugs by these companies that can be used in small scale quantities which are otherwise banned for personal use.
- What is the significance of these images?
Ans:- Oskar Schindler and his factory where he harbored thousand of Jews during Holocaust.
- What does this technology called USB Key do?
Ans:- Google’s device for having a single encrypted password across all its accounts.
- What is special about this shoe?
Ans:- The design of the shoe was selected from a competition that Adidas organised to celebrated Messi’s newborn son- Thiago.
Ans:- Chhagan Bapa who started Lijat Papad
ROUND 3:- NEW MANAGER
- UTV Software, Marvel Entertainment and Muppet Studios are subsidiaries of:
Ans:- Walt Disney
- Hershey’s idea was opted after M&M were rejected.
- The telegraph company to reject the patent of Alexander Bell’s phone
Ans:- Western Union
- LTIT, a polytechnic institute in Mumbai, is managed by them
- Convenience stores run by Appu in Simpsons
Ans:- Qwike Marts
Round 4:- BRIEFLY
- Which company launched Telewing Commuincations with Lakshadweep govt?
- Which award is given by Japanese Union?
Ans:- Deming Award
- Who will replace AON as shirt sponsor for ManU?
- What does HFD stand for in low alcoholic beverages?
Ans:- Health Food Drinks
- Danish Carpet maker, EG, formed an alliance with which Indian designer?
Ans:- Rohit Bal
Ans:- EL James (Author of Fifty Shades trilogy)
- Which media group in India was founded as SJI Finance?
Ans:- NETWORK 18
- Which watch brand owned by Swatch has a Wind HourGlass shape?
- Which Swiss based company is the leading provider of HR solutions?
- Which Japanese company owes its name to a mechanical bend?
Celebrating Cerebration 2013 January 16, 2013
Date : 13th January 2013
Venue : India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
QuizMaster : Giri “Pickbrain” Balasubramaniam
The Annual Business Line Quiz, Cerebration meaning “the working of the brain” came to the National Capital for the first time this year. The event saw a huge participation of 70+ teams from corporate houses and institutions. The event had Corporation Bank as its Title Sponsor and SAIL and NCDEX as the Associate Sponsors. It was a one man show in Delhi as one team conquered the whole quiz with some fantastic answers and were being called as the “Demolition Men from Delhi” by the Pickbrain. So, lets see which team gained entry into the National Finals :
- Which Indian woman was the first woman to command a Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Ans. Nivedita Bhasin
- Which photo sharing and social networking app founded by Kevin Systrom and Mike Kreiger was recently acquired by Facebook?
- Thermocot, Bumchums and Footline Socks – Which company owns these brands?
- Vyomesh Joshi, who headed the printer business at HP, was recently appointed in the board of which Indian IT giant?
- Founded by Som Koffler in 1933 and now a brand of Samsonite, which luggage manufacturer launced a new travel bag called Florence?
Ans. American Tourister
Ans. Shobhna Bhartia
- Which brand owned by Allied Blenders & Distillers is the world’s largest selling whisky?
Ans. Officers Choice
- Along with Coleman Andrews and Eric Kriss, who cofouned Bain Capital?
Ans. Mitt Romney
- Which brand of male grooming products had names like Africa Alaska, Java and Nevada from 1990-1996 and later names like Dimension Apollo, Gravity and Phoenix?
- Whatever The Odds is the autobiography of which Indian billionaire?
Ans. KP Singh
- Which brand identity was based around the idea of “adding Vitality to Life” and has 24 icons?
- Identify her.
Ans. Vanitha Narayanan (recently appointed MD of IBM India)
- What was introduced by James Taylor to Sri Lanka in 1867, now of high importance to its economy?
- Which Russian oligarch is a majority shareholder of Metalloinvest, a Russian industrial conglomerate and also owns major shares in a sports team?
Ans. Alisher Usmanov
- Which initiative?
Ans. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan
- Which iconic Denim brand originated when Blue Bell company asked Polish tailor Bernard Leichenstein to design jeans for Rodeo use?
- Monisha Kaltenborn, the first female team principal in F1 history, also has 33% shares in which F1 team?
- Which trade classification gets its name from this bird?
Ans. Brent (Brent Goose gives its name to Brent Crude Oil)
- Which Indian brand famous for its ads involving Bannu, the bride was founded by KV Pendharkar?
Ans. Vicco Turmeric
- Silk is a browser owned by?
The top six teams in the Finals were :
1) CSC – Sukhvinder Singh and Srivas MK
2) Genpact – Rohan Khanna and Anupam Jain
3) HCL – Abdul Sayid and Somnat Jain
4) NTPC – Chandan Shahi and Sanjit Dutta
5) Reckitt Benckiser – Gautam and Tanmay
6) State Bank of India – Sharad and Sonam
The cut-off in the Prelims was 14 and the highest score was 18. As the tradition goes for any Pickbrain quiz, he never forgets to acknowledge the team who just missed on clearing the prelims, the 7th team in Delhi was not a corporate but a college team from Jaipur – LNMIIT Jaipur.
The finals had six rounds with different scoring patterns and these rounds were named after the sections in The Business Line newspaper.
Round 1 – Roots and Shoots
Q1. Connect – Kansas in USA to Kochi in India
Ans. Kansas is the first city in world to get Wi-Fi at 1 gb/sec and Kochi is its Indian counterpart.
Q2. During World War II, Swiss build lines of defensive blocks to stop tank invasions in the country. What were these lines called?
Ans. Toblerone Lines
Q3. The first use of which term is credited to a 1961 attempt by creditors to oust Howard Hughes from control of TWA airlines?
Ans. Golden Handshake
Q4. This country is an extremely poor, “fourth-world” country that has abandoned Communism. Most of the nation is covered with waist-deep mud, which the residents use to build houses. It shares border with Kneebonia. Which country?
Ans. Elbonia, fictional country in Dilbert
Q5. LifeGem is a jewellery firm in Chicago, USA and the first company in the world to create ‘memorial diamonds’. What are its ingredients?
Ans. Carbon Remains of Dead People
Round 2 – Windows
Q1. What comes into existence from this place?
Ans. 404 Error – Room No. 404 in CERN Labs, the birthplace of the error.
Q2. What exactly is this for?
Ans. Knitwear for Penguins to protect them from oil spills.
Q3. Which publishing brand did he co-found?
Ans. Peter Kindersley, cofounder of DK Publishing along with Christopher Dorling.
Q4. Identify the brand that was established by this person.
Ans. ORPAT – named after O.R. Patel
Q5. Whose ad campaign?
Ans. Amnesty International – People Missing in Wars
Q6. Identify the brand featured in this book.
Round 3 – New Manager
( Clues provided with the number of alphabets in the answer in the grid)
Q1. Think Outside The Bun
Ans. Taco Bell
Q2. Rick Alden – 2003 – ear buds
Q3. f8 Annual Conference
Q4. John Bissell buyer for Macy’s
Round 4 – SAIL
Q1. Which company was marketed with the slogan “Don’t Carry a Cold in Your Pocket” in 1930s?
Q2. Article 148 of Indian Constitution deals with?
Q3. ‘Shanti, Sukh and Santushti’ is a book circulated by which Indian business house among its millions of investors?
Ans. Sahara Group
Q4. Who was described by David Ogilvy as “odios little jerk”?
Ans. Martin Sorrel
Q5. Sherilyn S. McCoy succeeded whom as CEO of Avon?
Ans. Andrea Jung
Round 5 – Perspective (Visual Connect Round)
Q1. Mermaid, Three Founders
Q2. Candler Park, Gods Must Be Crazy
Ans. Coca Cola
Q3. Warren Anderson, Methyl Isocyanate
Ans. Union Carbide
Q4. Tomorrow Never Dies, AskMen.com
Ans. Rupert Murdoch
Round 6 – Brandline
(Successive Clues Provided)
Q1. It was conceived when Mr. Ramesh Upendra Pai was in Germany in 1962. He found that car seat cushions were manufactured of rubberized coir. The manufacturer was improving curled coir from Sri Lanka.
Q2. First two acquisitions – Canadair and Short Brothers
Q3. Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The __________ from Nothing to $30 Billion.
Ans. Home Depot
The Balance Sheet at the end of quiz read as :
CSC – 40, HCL – 0, NTPC – 0, Reckitt Benckiser – 45, SBI – (-)5 and Genpact – 115
It was Genpact show all the way and Rohan Khanna from Genpact was simply outstanding. He gave superb answers and ruled the entire quiz. Pickbrain correctly dubbed the team as “Demolition Men from Delhi” at the end of the event. The quiz had some never-before-heard questions and a collection of interesting trivia. So its apt to say that Cerebration was truly the Celebration of the spirit of Quizzing.
13th AIMA National Management Quiz at Delhi December 18, 2012
AIMA 13th National Management Quiz for Corporates
Quizmasters: Mr. SPS Juggi and Mr. V. Kumar
Venue: Double Tree by Hilton, Mayur Vihar, Delhi
Date: 16th, December 2012
AIMA, the national body for management, hosted one of the most grandeur and pompous quiz show where the quintessentials of quizzing spirit were manifested. Ranging from corporates honchos to the top notch bureaucrats, all participated to quench their thirst for knowledge. And the quizmasters did not disappoint them at all. The whole quiz was structured in a way that left the people asking for more. With over 50 teams, the quiz was a grand success. The consistently performing team from NTPC comprising of K M Prashanth and Chandan Shahi made it to the national finals. Mr. Yatinder Suri, Head of OutoKompu India served as the Chief Guest of the event. The best moment of the quiz was undoubtedly set by Mr. Rohan Khanna of Genpact who corrected the score presented at the conclusion of the event that saw him defeated by a thin margin of points.
The six teams on stage were:-
IOCL: K Suresh Deepak Taneja
Genpact: Rohan Khanaa & Anupam Jain
TCS: Anurag Krishna & Abhinav Kishore
NTPC: K M Prashanth & Chandan Shahi
DTZ: Deben Moza & Subhendu Saha
Central Secratariat: Maninder Bains & Mukhmeet S Bhatia
The prelims were 30 questions divided in 6 categories that encapsulated all aspects of management. To add more facets to this, the final made the event more lively and highly participative for the teams on stage and the audience too. Without much further ado, let’s celebrate quizzing:
“Whenever I wrote of wealthy men becoming trustees of their wealth for the common good I always had this merchant prince principally in mind.” Mahtma Gandhi in Harjan 14th March 1942. Which industrialist is being referred as the merchant prince in this quote by Mahtma Gandhi?
Jamna Lal Bajaj
Which Institution takes its logo from the archietecture of Sidi Sayed Mosque in Ahmedabad?
- Which company launched this series of print ads to highlight its core areas like energy, aviation, consumer electronics, healthcare etc.?
- Macau was the colony of which imperial power?
- Which channel was involved in the product placement in the song “Jiya Re” of the movie “Jab Tak Hai Jaan”?
- This technique was first published in a 1942 book by this author “How to Think Up” and later popularized by his another book “Applied Imagination” in 1953. He co-founded the firm BBDO. Which technique did he popularize?
Peter Sellers was the first to achieve this feat in 1964, followed by Burt Reynolds, Steve Martin, Donald Trump, Dan Aykroyd, Jerry Seinfeld, Leslie Nielson, Gene Simmons, Seth Rogen and Bruno Mars being the latest. Which feat?
Men to be featured on PlayBoy cover
- Who posted these lines on twitter:-
“CEO’s incentive is not 2 learn,because he’s not paid on real value but on cosmetic value So he’s paid to be nice to the Wall Street analysts. So this is where the problem starts.”
Pat Gibbson is the World Champion in which field?
- Which celebrity founded “The Dragon’s Heart Foundation” in 2005?
- Which novel is set in a suburban West Country town called Pagford and have characters like Councillor Barry Fairbrother, Howard Mollison, Krystal Weedon etc.?
THE CASUAL VACANCY
- “The Revolutionary Wave & Future War” This is a sentence made out of the best-selling works of a very prominent author. Identify the author.
- Which indian financial daily has the tagline “New Ideas in business. New ideas before they become business. Read to Lead”?
- Which business publiaction printed a Business Indicator thermometer on the side of its cover for almost three decades?
- “Bhiwani Junction: The untold story of ____ in India” by Shyam Das Gupta. Fill in the blanks
- This is the term starting with ‘M’ for the people of age less than 30 who are confident, self-expressive, liberal, upbeat and open to change.They are more ethnically and racially diverse than older adults. They’re less religious, tech savvy and more open about their sexual preferences. Which term?
- This term was used by Jane Deverson as a name for the series of interviews in a 1964 study of British youth, commissioned by British lifestyle magazine Woman’s Own where Deverson worked. Which term?
- What does this table depict?
SEX RATIO IN INDIA
- This is a strategic, life simulation video game series developed by Maxis and later by The Sims Studio, and published by Electronic Arts. It is one of the most successful video games series of all time. As of May 2011, the franchise has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide, and is also the best-selling PC franchise in PC history. The player creates virtual people and places them in houses and helps direct their moods and satisfy their desires. Which game?
- It is an important source of protein in Chinese and East Asian cuisines with origins dating back to Han dynasty. It is a food made by coagulating soy juice and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. Identify
- Which derogatory term was used to describe the work like “Fifty Shades of Grey” by New York Times?
- With which country would you associate the “Tortilla Riots” of 2007?
- Which indian company has the tagline “Go the distance” and boast of “YOU FIRST technology”?
- An Indian brand responded like this when a foreign entrant tried to woo away their customers with their schemes “Deee John, I have found someone new”.Which indian company?
- “Alive is Awesome” is an ad by whom?
- Whose new logo?
- Which ocassion?
Dileep Kumar’s 90th birthday
- Heroine in the film is “Bijli” and the hero is “Current”. Which recently released movie?
“Fire in Babylon” a 2010 documentary is based on which sport?
- Vidya Balan has been appointed as the brand ambassador for which central gvernment initiative?
Nirmal Bharat Abhiyaan
ROUND 1:- TAKE YOUR PICK
- Which country’s tax agency is known as “Lion”?
This is the Headquarters of which international organisation founded in 1967 in Geneva?
World Intellectual Property Organisation
- Which company has topped the list of Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics?
Ad for what?
- Which country has topped Monocle Magazine’s “Global Soft Power” survey?
Which US government agency’s logo is this?
US Patent & Trademark Organisation
- If you feature in the Castle Connoly list in the USA, you are among the country’s top ___. Fill in the blank
Mascot for which celebrity’s Music foundation?
- Gaokao in Chinese refers to?
National College Entrance Examination
What is so unique about this company?
Fictional Company that appeared in the US TV series “The Office”
- Which hollywood celebrity has created “Electric city” an internet based animated science fiction series?
Connect to a person
Preet Bharara is the US Attorney who initiated proceedings against Rajat Gupta, Anil Kumar was a former director at McKinsey who testified against Rajat Gupta, Gary Natfalis was Rajat Gupta’s lawyer
- In November 2012, Brother’s UK factory manufactured what it claimed to be the last of its kind ever made in the UK which was donated to London’s Science Museum. What?
- In England if you have failed Tebbit Test, what have you exhibited?
Tebbit test suggested that those immigrants who support their native countries rather than England at the sport of cricket are not qualified for United Kingdom citizenship.
- What is AQAP?
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula
- “Tanner White House 3” method was made to the Indian news channels for what purpose?
Used by BCCI to check the age of players
- The USA is said to be the having the 60% market of this and the largest company being the California Cryobank. What is being referred?
- Martin-Baker also sponsors a “______Tie Club,” producing a tie, patch, certificate, tie pin and membership card. As of 2012, there are now over 5,800 registered members of the Club since it was founded in 1957. The first member to be accepted was a British RAF serviceman. Which unusual club is this?
“Ejection Tie Club” is confined solely to persons who have ejected from an aircraft, in an emergency, using a Martin-Baker ejection seat which has thereby saved their life.
ROUND 3: Pehchaan KauN (Identify the personalities)
ROUND 4: WHAT LINKS?
- Anatocism, Aphnology, Cambistry & Chrematist
Money & Wealth
- PQM, M/N M, KKB, PQG, LPA, BHP
- La Saleda- Buenos Aires, Harco Glodok- Jakarta, San Andresitos- Columbia, Tepito- Mexico
They all are open air market of pirated products
- Mia, Olivia, Emma, Andrea, Stephanie
All are the characters of the new LEGO Friends series
Fidel,Urbina, Eric Justin Toth, Robert William Fisher & Jason Derek Brown
10 most wanted fugitives by FBI
- Love In War, World Enough & Time, Every Night And All, Of Wounds & Other Causes
Alternative titles for the “Farewell to Arms” by Ernest Hemmingway
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Hyderabad November 20, 2012
All’s well that ends well still: the fine’s the crown;
Whatever the course, the end is the renown.
The Idea Brand Equity Quiz 2012 spent 10 days cruising its ultra-sleek quizzing vehicle through 9 Cities. And on November 16th, the team from BEQ and Derek O’Brien Associates promised the audience that they had saved up their customary best for the last, a sentiment, that 3 hours later was echoed by the hyper-stimulated and prize-laden audience. The evening turned out to be quite the quiz-tastic crowdpleaser, as those assembled got to witness multiple exciting rounds that were finely rounded off with a nail-biting finish.
The teams that made it on stage included two each from Google, Infosys and Vizag Steel with one from Medium Healthcare. As Mr. O’Brien began the quiz with the color-coding of the teams, he went on to spend a good amount of time bantering with the archetypally friendly Hyderabad audience. Prizes were awarded in quantities galore- for answering missed questions, audience questions and to some, for jokingly shouting out late Diwali and early Christmas greetings! A diverse range of characters interacted with Derek, including a schoolteacher who corrected the Quizmaster’s pronouncements of Telugu nuances!
The Six teams were narrowed down to 2 in a final elimination round as Google and Vizag Steel battled it out for a spot in the National finals to be held in Mumbai. It was a very cinematic climax as both teams were tied at the exact score, as a crackling tension lingered across the hall of the Marigold Hotel. A buzzer question and the answer ‘Kit Kat’ ultimately tipped the final scale to Rahul and Murthy of Vizag Steel.
A knowledge-powered, prize-laden and highly, satisfied audience went back home, having witnessed a wonderful melange of Quizzing and Entertainment with a good seasoning of pure, simple collective fun. As endings only signify new beginnings, Hyderabad proved to be quite the perfect end to the qualifying Rounds for National Finals to be held on November 28th in Mumbai. Here’s to the Finals and Beyond!!!
On which day did Parvati and Shiva decree that gambling would bring prosperity?
Which shoe brand is named for its tough resilience, much like what crocodiles possess?
The highest award for Nursing in India is named after which personality?
Who lives in Bedrock and is a Bronto Crane Operator by Profession?
________ Peter to pay Paul. Fill in the Blank.
Where is Manek Bhavan situated?
The Bill Gates Foundation made a massive donation to Rotary International towards the fight against which disease?
Biz Stone recently signed a book deal for an autobiography titled ‘Things a little bird told me’. Stone is the founder of which influential company?
The Union Budget is presented to the finance minister on colored papers of Green, Yellow or Blue?
Blue Papers with Black letters
Which Superachiever has his own logo that spells ‘RF’, designed by Michael Bierut?
The Antrix Corp. is a one stop station for all space related purchases. Serious or Joking?
Serious. The name is a corruption of “Antariksh”
Which Stock Market is the oldest among- Dow Jones, NASDAQ, Nikkei, NYESE?
Dow Jones Industrial Index
What is common between Juhi Parmar, Shweta Tiwari, Ashutosh Kaushik, Vindu Dara Singh and Rahul Roy?
They are all winner so the Indian Reality TV Show, ‘Bigg Boss’.
Which American Business Magnate, known for his phrase ‘You’re fired’, publicly rowed with Obama over his Birth Certificate?
Which person has featured on maximum umber of national currencies?
Al Ries said, “________ didn’t invent computers. Sperry Rand did. But ______ was the first to build the computer position in the prospect’s mind”. Fill in the blank.
Which Nobel Prize Winner found the cure for Malaria in Hyderabad by offering strangers a few annas in return for a blood sample?
Which famous musician has 2 percent shares in Facebook?
Which company’s tagline is ‘World’s Largest Family’?
Which state in India accounts for maximum Matchstick Production?
Which industrialist owns the Queenspark Rangers?
Laxmi Nivas Mittal
Which fictional character has had the maximum number of representations on TV, Screen and Radio?
Which company had a logo designed by Rob Janov and a tagline that said, ‘Byte into a ________’
Whose enemies are Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde?
What is the three letter term for an index developed byu Simon Kuznets to measure a country’s economy?
ROUND 1:- (Statements were provided and teams had to frame question)
The price of this item was recently fixed by the Pakistan Government at Rs. 6 per piece.
What is a Samosa?
This Asian Location has the highest Broadband Speeds in the world.
What is Hong Kong?
Salim-Javed hiked up their fees to 6 lakhs a script after the success of this movie.
What is Deewaar?
This was an Operation by the Indian Armed Forces in September 1948 to annex Hyderabad into the Indian Union?
What is Operation Polo?
This event was started to celebrate the marriage of Prince Ludwig to Princess Therse on October 12, 1812?
Why was Oktoberfest started?
This Beverage gets its name from a port city in Yemen
What is the origin of the name ‘Mocha’?
A recent, inflation-adjusted list of the world’s richest persons ever placed an Indian as the world richest man. Who?
The Nizam of Hyderabad.
What is a Lazy Susan?
A circular rotating device placed on a table to aid the movement of food.
What is Wardriving?
Wardriving is the process of trying to exploit public wi-fi networks while in a moving vehicle.
Which type of dog is always a Hush Puppy?
Julian Mantle was a successful lawyer. Upon suffering a Heart Attack while in Court, he sold off his belongings and started a spiritual journey. What are we talking about?
The narrative template of Robin Sharma’s Bestseller- ‘The Monk who Sold his Ferrari.
- Identify the movie from the poster
The Bicycle Thief
- Identify the brand of chocolates
- Identify these dolls.
- What is being blanked out?
- Identify this character from the “Skyfall” movie.
- In numismatics, what does FIDO stand for?
Freaks, Irregulars, Defects, Oddities
2.Which word in the Oxford English Dictionary? is defined as ‘a rich mine; broadly : a source of great wealth.’?
- Jack Welch’s 4 E’s of leadership are Energy, Energizers, Edge and ________.
- Iranian Weavers always leave a deliberate imperfection in their works. Why?
Because of the underlying belief that only God can be perfect.
- Which Indian published, in 1901, a book titled- Poverty and Un-British Rule in India, highlighting the depletion of Indian Resources and wealth by the British?
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Bangalore November 10, 2012
November 4th to November 9th, 2012 can probably be called as “The Week of Brand Equity Quiz 2012”. The caravan travelled to 4 cities that are generally considered the hotspots of Indian quizzing-Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad and Chennai. Yesterday, the quiz came home once again to Bangalore- after all it was in this city that the oldest corporate quiz in India took its shape. A single city event has now blossomed into a 9 city event over 21 years of the quiz’s existence. The appeal of the quiz can be judged from the sheer fact that it was a team from Goa that won the Pune edition. No one can resist the temptation of the prizes on offer with cash prizes, mobile phones, digital cameras and attractive gift vouchers. The Brand Equity quiz does have its share of rich sponsors!!!
The biggest disappointment of the quiz was the unavailability of Derek O’ Brien as the quizmaster. Through a pre-recorded message that was broadcasted in the giant screen, he apologized for not being at the Chancery Pavillion (venue of the quiz) for reasons beyond his control. Enter Andrew Scolt- a long term colleague of Derek. Having conducted over 800 shows, he ran the quiz with an affable sense of humor and spontaneity. The best round of the quiz was undoubtedly the audience round who were treated generously with gifts. Even a loud cheer or a raucous laugh or a naughty comment (there were lots of them) was met with a gift. The excitement level reached its pinnacle when Andrew invited few members of the audience to dance to the hit number of “Ganganam” style. Andrew kept the crowd engaged with his witty statements and the audience lapped it all. It was however a different display of wits on stage as TCS romped home in style with a perfect 100 points. Oracle was neck to neck with TCS until the penultimate round where TCS, despite taking a negative, pressed on the accelerator and emerged as the winners. Oracle finished with 60 points. The Brand Equity Quiz 2012 will probably be synonymous with TCS as their Bangalore team joined their counterparts from Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkatta in the national finals to be held on November 28th in Mumbai. Entertainment plus knowledge is what makes the Brand Equity Quiz stand out as the grandest quiz in Indian quizzing circles. So here are all the questions from the Bangalore edition. Happy quizzing!!!
- Established as “Brahmin’s Coffee House”, how do we know it today?
- Emperor, Crown, Royal, Princess, Atlas, Elephant are different sizes of……
- Which Indian ruler issued coins bearing the inscriptions of “Nanak Sahi”?
MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH
- Along with Venkat Ramaswamy, who introduced the concept of co-creation in the 2000 Harvard Business Review?
- What was the name of the merchant in “Merchant of Venice”?
- In 1913. which British actor joined Keystone Films company for $150 a week?
- Which brand runs “No Kidding. No Worries” campaign?
- Which state produces more than 70 percent of country’s salt?
- Who was the first person to be inducted in US Automobile Hall of Fame?
Alfred Sloan, Henry Ford, Enzo Ferrari
- Angry Birds Space has tied up with which organisation to include content about Mars exploration in its game?
- “Jousting Knights” is the logo of which stationery goods company?
- The largest number of people on Forbes India Rich list are from which city?
- In which famous Sanskrit manuscript, do we find the earliest known reference to diamond?
- The models for which iconic ad campaign were known as “Cowboy Killers”?
- The initial sales of which Johnson&Johnson brand was poor until it was sold as free to boy scout groups?
- In 1943, which scientist started Travancore Chemical Manufacturing Company with Dr. Krishnamurthi?
- The english name for which crop in India stems from the Sanskrit word “Jata” meaning twisted hair?
- IBM introduced 360 degree feedback to the corporate world in 1990’s. Serious or Joking.
- The “White Mischief Girls” are the official cheerleaders of which IPL team?
ROYAL BANGALORE CHALLENGERS
- Complete this Dhirubai Ambani’s quote:- “Think big. Think fast. Think ahead. Ideas are no ones…….”
- Identify the advertiser
- Identify the personality.
- Identify the logo.
- Audio ofMoov ad
- Audio of Barfi song. Who is the music director?
- On which famous pilgrimage are a percentage of donations given to descendant of a Muslim shepherd named Malik?
- Of all notes in minted in India, which denomination costs the most in comparison to its value at 48 paise per note?
Rs 5, Rs 10, Rs 50
- The Hungarian symbol for this symbol is “kukac” meaning worm. It was used as an abbreviation of amphora. Name the symbol.
THE @ SYMBOL
- In 1946, General Moots of TWA came from Kansas City to train India;s first batch of:-
Chefs, Airhostess, Models
- Which is the first Asian city to award a National Quality Prize?
The 6 teams to make it to the finals were:-
ROUND 1:- (In this round Derek tweeted the answers and the teams had to frame questions)
- About 80% of Mumbai’s plastic waste is found here
What is Dharavi?
- It consists of 1.34% gold, 92.5% silver and each costs around $708.
What does an Olympic Gold medal consist of?
- It is a chain of restaurants named after founder’s daughter, Melinda Lou’s nickname.
What is Wendys?
- This parsi surname is derived from a word meaning “shipbuilders”.
Who are the Wadiyas?
- Mike Markulla was this company’s first investor with a loan guarantee of $250000.
What is Apple?
- The media lovingly calls it as Oilywood.
What is the Odisha film industry called as?
- Royalty from which Hindi song goes to the Army Welfare for the disabled?
MERE WATAN KE LOGON
- Which spice is called as Angushta Gadhi in Russian, Kayam in Malayalam and Yang in Kashmiri?
- With which brand would you associate the burping seal?
- While designing which city did Bhattacharya allocate Chowkris, Modi Khan for Jain and Hindu businessmen?
- What is a “letterbox company”?
- In 1965, Fortune magazine wrote an article titled “Is David a genius?” Why did David Ogilvy sue Fortune magazine after this?
DAVID OGILVY STATED THAT IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A QUESTION BUT RATHER A STATEMENT
ROUND 3:- (VISUALS)
- Identify the personality
- Corporate Headquarters of which company?
- Identify the personality
- This is the cover of which book?
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY
- Identify the football team
- Visual ofGoogle’s ad on Breast Cancer
- According to marketers, who are tweens?
TWEENS ARE IN BETWEEN THE AGE OF 10-13 AND ARE CAPABLE OF MAKING THEIR OWN PURCHASE DECISIONS.
- “FIRE” is New York city’s largest industry. If F stands for Finance, what does IRE stand for?
INSURANCE AND REAL ESTATE
- Who coined the term atmospherics- the ability of a store to entice customers with its design and layout?
- What would you be buying if you interacted with the salesforce of this company calling themselves as “Comfort Specialist Consultant”?
UNDERWEAR FROM JOCKEY
- What is a Qwerty tummy?
FALLING SICK DUE TO DUST FROM KEYBOARDS
- Which graphic was used in Indian currency for the longest period and also appeared in Rs 10 of King George VI from 1940 to 1946?
A PAIR OF SAILBOATS
- Which 2 colours are on all NIVEA cream products?
BLUE AND WHITE
- The name of which brand of shirt shares its name with the legendary sword of King Arthur?
- Sir Osborne Smith was the first ever head of which financial institution?
- Its internal code name was K48. It was released on April 3rd. 2010. Alaskan Airlines introduced it on their flights. What are we talking about?
- Daily written news bulletin called as filmsies were circluated around New York. What originated from this activity?
WALL STREET JOURNAL
- Sharp Electronics was the first shirt sponsor of which team?
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Chennai November 8, 2012
It all started two decades ago, the journey of Brand Equity Quiz, which has become one of India’s largest corporate quizzes conducted by Derek O’Brien, who has quizzing in his genes. The legacy continued its turn this year by conducting its 1st regional round at Chandigarh on November 1st and came to my city, Chennai on 8th of November. The quiz was held at ITC Sheraton Park, a premium 5 Star hotel in the heart of Chennai.
The banquet hall was packed with audience and Derek mentioned that the quizzing level at Chennai is incomparable with other cities. Andrew Scolt, one of the most experienced quizmasters in the country conducted the prelims in his trademark humorous manner and also made sure that he engaged the audiences. Lots of generous gifts were given to those who got correct answers in prelims.
Following the prelims was the brief recreational high tea, which was provided to all those who were present, where we got an opportunity to interact with many quizzers and made friends with them. The most awaited moment followed the high tea, where the Top 6 was announced by the Derek O’Brien himself and assured that he would complete the quiz by 08:59 PM!!.
The finalists were,
1) Anish and Devi Karthi of Accenture (24)
2) Anil Kumar and Niladhri of Crisil (24)
3) Shri kanth and his team mate of Infosys (23)
4) Ramakrishnan and Bharat Ram of KPMG (24)
5) Sylvian and Ananthan of Maarga Systems (29)
6) Devi Prasad and Jaya kanthan of TCS (28)
Derek seemed to have had a special interest on the finalists from Maarga systems– maybe because of their unique company’s name and it became a hub for mockery throughout the quiz. He simply gave a coffee mug for a person who just said that his sister was an audience in the BEQ at Kolkata. The finals consisted of 6 rounds whose themes were so unique with some audience questions in between. Derek said humorously that the city of Chennai is a bachelor few of the audience and participants were married to provide gifts for women.
Last year’s winner, Crisel systems were knocked out unfortunately this year and the elite quizzers of TCS were crowned as winners and will be leaving to Mumbai for the Nat’l finals on 28th November, and Derek’s favorite (Maarga Systems) ended up as runners.
I entered the place thinking of “Luxury uncompromised“ and came back thinking “Quizzing uncompromised”.
- In 1953, who was the most famous foreigner to be gifted a Nalli saree?
- To commemorate what did Arcelor Mittal build UK‟s largest sculpture a few months ago?
- Two plumbers in a mushroom kingdom fight out to rescue princess toadstool from the evil king Bowser. This is the plot of which game?—
- Seven out of ten matchboxes made in India is produced in which city?
- Trouser— Belt— Shirt— Shoe— Waist, Cuff, Tongue, Vamp, Welt, are the different parts of what?—
6.In 1869, which scientist got patent for his company for his invention of electric vote recorder?—
Thomas Alva Edison—
- Peter Drucker’s quote:”Whatever progress ______ manufacturing has made in 30 years, we owe to Joseph Juran. Just fill in the blank.
- During WWII, Cipla supplied drugs to Indian soldiers to combat what?—
- Which universally recognizable symbol is based on Mobius loop?—
- Where is the hub of Cathay Pacific?—
- According to Forbes, which is the best Social Networking tool available to job seekers and professionals?—
12.— Sozni, Rezkar, Watchikan are the techniques of embroidery from which Indian state?
- Whose picture did Philippe Khan, the inventor of camera mobile in 1997 first shoot?
His baby daughter. It was the reason why he basically invented it.—
- On visit to India in 1911, King George V stored his Queen’s valuables in safe made by which company?
- David Ogilvy once said: “Big _____ are usually simple ideas”
- Which footballer has the most number of fans in facebook counting over 50 million?—
- Which common share market term has its origin from the Latin word meaning, “Something to be divided”—?
- Before WIPRO took it over, which brand of soap was manufactured by Sri Kesavan Vaidyar in 1940s of Kerala?—
- Who is the oldest women to appear in Pirelli calendar?
- In 1912, McMillan published the 1st edition of which work by a Nobel laureate?—
- Identify the logo—
Bank of Baroda
- Identify the logo.
- For bills and receipts, E&OE stands for Errors and _______ .
- Ivan Kemp, founder of IKEA wrote the book titled “A _______ dealer‟s testament”. Fill in the blank.
- Which brand tops Forbes inaugural list of the world’s most powerful brand?
- Which is the most successful film franchise of all the times?
- “You will wonder where the _____ went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent”. Complete the tagline.
ROUND 1:- (The answers were provided and teams had to frame questions)
- These boots are named after Arthur Wellesley‟s Royal title.
After whom are the Duke of Wellington‟s boots named?—
- Priced at 5 Rupees, it is called as the Saptagiri magazine.
What is the official magazine of Tirumala Tirupati Devastanam?—
- Nine small pyramids combining to form one large pyramid.—
What does the DLF logo look like?—
- The French called it Diplome Grande Ecole, the Germans called it Diplom Kaufmann, the Italians called it Laura magistrate.—
What are the MBA equivalent in the respective countries?—
- Brij Bhyshyam Sahni Sangthi‟s iconic jingle for a personal care product.
Who sang the Lifebuoy jingle?
- Why does Masuria malmal, from which the famous muslin sarees are made, named as Masuria ?
Mysore (Mysore sarees)
- When he was in advertising, he designed two covers for Nehru‟s “The Discovery of India”. Who
- Isaac Singer wanted to increase the distribution channel by means of some method, meaning “free from servitude” in French. How do we know that word today?
- The Japanese traditional garment, Kimonos, have different styles of stitches of which one of it owes its name to a place in Chennai, thus being called as ______ Checkers. Fill in the blank.
- Inspired by Istanbul‟s original Roman habitants, the Ottomans, built around 150 of these structures around 17th century. What were those structures?—
- What is upcycling?—
Recycling any product so that the recycled product is more valuable than the former.
- Identify the campaign
P&G MOM’s Campaign
- Identify the dish
- Who is the author of the book?
- Which company’s headquarters?
- Identify the movie from the cover
- Identify this personality.
- In 1930’s,the Esquare magazine called it the newest tailoring idea for men. What was it?
- Arthashastra says Asava(Sugarcane juice)— Prasanna(Barley)— Medaka(Rice) Myrya(Jagerry) are the ingredients for preparing what?
- To guide advertising industry, who are measured by Davie Brown index?
- In marketing, what do you mean by the term Betamaxed ?—
A lower quality product, replacing a much superior product than itself, from the market as happened for Sonys Betamax by VHS
- What dubious distinction does the stock exchange at Haradheere hold?—
It is a stock exchange in Somalia, run by pirates, where people can make investments and gain shares on profits
- Connect: Swivel, Taco, Bar, Dyna TAC 800.
- A boy named Babla is seen in the trademarked logo of this company, that derives its name from a word meaning “tasty” in Gujarati. Identify this production company.
- In 2009, this club broke its own record for the highest transfer fee ever paid in history of club football. Its members are called socios. This football club‟s 1st shirt sponsor was Zanussi.
- Whose Blackberry is called as Blackberry One ?—
- Which is the first tourism board in India to be registered as a brand?—
- Earliest reference to X was in the Kannada writing of Shivakoti Acharya.
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Ahmedabad November 8, 2012
The Ahmedabad edition of Brand Equity Quiz 2012 was held at the Indian Institute of Management on 7th November. Although the number of teams participating in Ahmedabad was fewer as compared to other cities, the teams were very well prepared andthis was reflected in the cut-off for the top 6 teams in the prelims to be as high as 26 correct answers out of 30.
The 6 teams to make it to the final round were:-
1. Arvind Mills
2. Gujarat Gas
3. Can Immigration Services
5. Triton Communication
6. Endeavour Careers
Celebrity quizmaster Derek O’Brien kept the audience entertained with his witty remarks and generously gave away prizes ranging from coffee mugs and watches to cameras and mobile phones. The final was a heady mix questions from various sectors pertaining to the world of business. One of the major upsets of the quiz was the elimination of the defending champions Endeavour Careers & perennial crowd favourites Triton Communication in the early stages of the buzzer round. The battle continued till the very end and the winner of the quiz was decided on the basis of a tie breaker between Gujarat Gas &Arvind Mills.
The winning team – Rajeev & Ronak from Arvind Mills would represent the city in the national finals to be held in Mumbai on November 28th.
PRELIMS(except the A/V):
1. Zandu Pharmaceuticals was established on a piece of land near the river Rangamati. The king of which erstwhile princely state donated this land?
2. Daag achche hain is the tagline of which product?
3. The outlawing of logging in Thailand during the early 1990’s left thousands of domesticated _________ out of work?
4. What is the term for the amount of CO2released by an organization, industry or person?
5. Prior to this (event), Gloria was the last one to shut down the NYSE. What?
6. Australian mining company Rio Tinto supplied 8 tonnes of gold for which sporting event held recently?
7. On which channel is the Bournvita Quiz Contest telecast?
8. Which of the 5 Pandavas lost 1000 golden nishkas& 1000 chariots to Duryodhana in wager?
9. Which was the first social networking website to be valued at $100 billion?
10. In 1950, Peter Drucker was the first to suggest that companies treat their employees as _______ instead of liabilities.
11. When Anil Ambani joined Reliance, he dropped the word ‘only’ from which brand?
12. What connects Bajaj to MaharanaPratap?
13. What was the name of the moneylender in Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice?
14. Aligarh is famous for manufacture of which product?
15. What does E in NEFT stand for?
16. How many people are expected to visit Antarctica in 2012?
A.10000 B. 35000 C. 50000
17. Who decided to pursue a career in aviation after a joyride in an aircraft at Hardelot, France at the age of 15?
18. Which food item did Sanjay Dutt’s character sell in the movie Vaastav?
19. If IIM Calcutta was the first IIM to be set up, which was the second?
20. Which Asian airline has an IATA code of SQ?
21. Which Indian state is most frequented by luxury train routes?
22. If you buy a product from brand TJ, where was it manufactured?
23. Which India-born director living in USA has a production house called Mirabai Films?
24. On which cookie would you find a design of 12 flowers, 12 dots and 12 dashes per side?
FINALS (except the A/V questions):
Answers to some questions were provided and the teams had to come up with the questions
1. Progress through Knowledge in Sanskrit
A. What is the motto of IIM Ahmedabad?
2. A personal hygiene product manufactured using saponification reaction
A. What is soap?
3. DhirajbenRuparel named this product so for being tasty
A. What does Lijjat (papad) mean?
4. This plastic equipment manufactured by Acme Corporation is used in all FIFA matches
A. Who manufactures the whistles used by referees infootball games?
5. It is the most popular type of cheese in USA
A. What is mozzarella?
6. Bangladesh gets half of its fuel wood from this place in India
A. What are the Sunderbans?
1.Mother Dairy runs stores called Safal which sell perishable goods. Why were the stores named Safal?
Sabzee + Fal
2. In modern day media, what does EQ mean?
3. Which term was popularized by Alex Faickney Osborn in the 1953 book Applied Imagination?
4. Chennai based Nalli’s Silks came up with a shade called MS Blue to honor which person?
5. What are Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Scorpion and Hainan Yellow Lantern some types of?
6. According to a survey by Nielsen, what is biggest cause of worry for working Indians?
1. About 110 Nobel Prize winners, 20 Heads of States and 5 US Presidents have contributed to which widely referred literature?
2. In marketing jargon, who are mystery shoppers?
Customers sent by a company to its own outlets/retailers to conduct surveys
3. Which brand of tennis balls have been used at the Wimbledon Championship since its inception?
4. Which popular packaging product would you associate with a company called Sealed Air?
5. Which marketing fundamental was proposed by Jerome McCarthy in 1960?
6. Which is the world’s largest producer of Aspartame[actual question had a discrepancy]?
ROUND 4 (buzzer):-
1. Which firm started in 1911 is the second largest employer in USA?
2. Which apex Indian body was set up in 1927 on the recommendation of Mahatma Gandhi?
3. The first salesperson for which company was a lady named Persis Albee?
4. In 1912, who asked Edison to manufacture a battery for self-starting automobiles?
5.What have Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Rod Stewart insured at Lloyd’s?
6. Name the only coffee brand by Unilever.
7. If Milk: White Revolution, ________: Round Revolution?
8. Connect rainbows to a low-cost airline in India.
9. In the petroleum industry, what is a BBL?
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Mumbai November 5, 2012
Women like Facebook, more than Sex!
Well this is not an article on the details of the above mentioned title, but a review of the quiz where I came across this piece of trivia– the Brand Equity Quiz Mumbai Finals 2012. There is an eternal debate on the question of relevance of information. The above mentioned piece of trivia would be brushed aside as useless trivia or could be worthy information for someone in the advertising industry to explore the idea of marketing women products through Facebook etc. These were the kind of ambivalent thoughts I was left with after attending the quiz.
The teams on stage were – Edelweiss, Goldfish, JWT, Mersk, Tata Capital and TCS. The quiz was won by TCS, Mumbai who stood their ground throughout the quiz with some good cracks and the runner up team Edelweiss gave them stiff competition. TCS had a five point lead over Edelweiss when the last two questions of the quiz was remaining and TCS managed a negative of ten points on the penultimate question thereby losing out on the lead but by cracking the last question of the quiz made sure the title of Mumbai champion was not something that they would miss this year. Both TCS and Edelweiss would be representing Mumbai in the finals.
Derek was entertaining as ever, poking fun at others and employing the usuals from his coterie of jokes. One would be charmed by Derek’s perceptive and elegant use of his understanding of people’s psychology to make witty comments and keep the crowd on their toes with his presence and wisecracks.
Now the questions –
The Prelims Questions:
- Which Indian industry entered the Merriam Webster’s dictionary in 2007?
- Which famous brand was bought over by Luxxotica in 1999?
- Mahesh Lunch Home has branches in Mumbai at Fort, Juhu and __________?
- According to a survey, who among the following are the highest earners in US- Lawyers, Doctors and Chefs?
- Whose image was depicted on the currency of Sri Lanka to commemorate the person’s 2500th birth anniversary?
- Which Nobel Laureate was provided with diamonds by De Beers for experiment purposes?
- Complete this Alfred Sloan quote – “A __________ for every purse and purpose”.
- Which Brooke Bond brand was the first to introduce tea bags?
- Norges Bank is the central bank of which country?
- Which profession gets its name from this because historically the persons from this profession kept secrets of people they worked for?
- Philleas Fogg of “Around the world in eighty days” carried a red-bound copy of “Bradshaw’s Continental ___________ Steam Transit and General Guide”, for his journey around the world. Fill in the blanks.
- Who fired William Earle as the CEO of Wayne Enterprises?
- Kevin Gilbertson is an American web developer best known as the creator of which web service that helps in shortening the size of an URL, by providing short aliases for long URL?
- McCormack World Rankings is the official ranking of which sport?
- Which Indian UNESCO world heritage site earned 19 Crores in revenue in 2011, by the sale of tickets?
- Who among the following is the highest earning American pop artist in UK – Rihana, Madonna and Justin Beiber?
- Which world-wide chain discontinued “Coco the clown” as its mascot in 1969?
- In Hindu Mythology, who loaned money to Lord Balaji for his marriage with Goddess Lakshmi?
- What term is used to refer to an increase in the price of food that occurs as a result of increased demand from human consumption and due to its use as an alternative energy resource?
- “Parcheesi” is a board game sold in the US. It is based on which Indian board game?
- Identify her?
- Whose logo?
Yash Raj Films
- Which US University according to a survey tops the list of “Graduates of the university who are most employable”?
- Which Asian country is the largest producer of Opium in the world?
25.Which phrase refers to a person who has become rich through illegal or unfair means – Filthy rich, dirty rich and stinking rich?
- Which present cabinet minister represented “Sterlite Industries” in the Bombay High Court in 2003?
- Which country has the largest market for antiques and art – USA, China and Egypt?
Round 1: (Frame questions on the statements provided)
- A mission to stop cholera in Victorian England.
Why was Lifebouy created?
- Cosmopolitan survey – Women prefer it more than sex.
What is Facebook?
- Now a brand name, it was a word first used in a Punjabi poem by Waris Shah.
What is Basmati?
- Dell Streak 5, previously known as the Dell Mini 5, is arguably the first.
Which is the world’s first fablet?
- Radhe, Radherani, Balarama and Ganga café.
What are the restaurants in Isckon?
- Only Qatar Airways gives all its business class passengers these for long haul flights.
Which airline provides pyjamas/night suits for its business class passengers for its long haul flights.
- Who contracted with the Spanish Crown to give him 10% of all profits made in the new lands, as stipulated in the Capitulations of Santa Fe?
- In 1948, Candido used the company’s expertise in pumps to develop a submersible bathtub pump for his son, Kenneth, who had developed rheumatoid arthritis in 1943. He realized that their agricultural water pumps could be adapted to give his son soothing whirlpool treatments at home. Name the family?
- What was the chief reason why Coco Cola Company could not enter the Indian market in 1977 till 1993?
They refused to divulge the secret 7X formula to the ruling government.
- According to Arthashastra, entertainers and who else were banned from moving through the agricultural fields during rainy seasons?
Gypsies and vagabonds
- According to Richard Branson, his idea of diversifying business is based on ABCD – Always Be _______ _______
Always be connecting the dots.
- Which actor/director featured in the Google’s first video doodle?
- Fill in the Blanks:
- Name the movie.
- Name the costume
- Identify this fenny brand from Goa.
- Name the award.
Man Booker Prize
- Who is the first living person to be featured in the Amar Chitra Katha?
- Who plays the role of Che- the narrator in the Broadway show “Evita”?
- John Hegarty of Bartle BogleHegarty has criticised whom by referring to his copywriting as: “He did write crap ads … admittedly.”
- What is atextonym?
When using predictive text to write an SMS, sometimes an unexpected word of similar / humorous meaning may pop up.Eg.:Kiss / lips, Pint / shot / riot, Book / cool.
- What is the world’s first correspondence course? Clue – It’s a corporate skill.
- Which Asian city gets its name from the fisherwoman named “Mai Kolachi”?
- Connect – Radhe – O’ fish- Ninety Days
- Bisleri is a person, mountain or spring?
- John Paul Getty quote –“ __________ is like manure, it stinks”
- In 2010, BskyB of News Corp filed trademark infringement suit against which company for the use of the word “Sky”?
- Which country is the second largest contributor in dollars to the United Nations?
- The National Old Age Pension scheme is named after which Indian Prime Minister?
- The last version of it came out in 2010, had 32-volumes, weighed 62 kilogrammesand was priced at £1,195 an edition. What?
- Name the 2006, Padma Shree awardee who brought “Ayurveda to the west”?
Brand Equity Quiz 2012 at Chandigarh November 3, 2012
The Brand Equity Quiz 2012
November 1st, Chandigarh
Corporate India’ oldest and most awaited quiz –The Idea Brand Equity Quiz 2012– kicked off on November 1st. Chandigarh got the privilege to host the first leg of this year’s edition. The name of quiz was enough to lure all quizzers from the nearer states and cities to gather them under one roof. And one thing which always make it so luring is the presence of ace quizmaster Derek O’Brien. And as the battle started, Samsung outwitted Infosys at the opening regional round.
These were the 6 teams to qualify for the regional finals:-
The chief guest, Vivek Malhotra (Vice President and Head of Marketing for Idea Cellular’s Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and J&K circles) presented the prizes to the winners. The team from Samsung, represented by Nitin Gupta and Manu Kaushik, maintained their lead from starting and emerged as the winners.
1) Which famous architect said “Chairs are architecture. Sofa are Bourgeois” ?
Answer: Le Corbusier.
2) Which abbreviation of the 1920s is probably influenced by the proprietor name “Frigidaire”?
Answer : Fridge.
3) In the 1990 Louis Cartier popularized the use of –
- a) Diamond
- b) Pearls
- c) Platinum
4) Paul Di Resto, Nico Huldenberg and Jules Bianchi are drivers for which F1 team?
Answer: Force India
5)What is the minimum amt that one can send through Instant Money Order on India POST?
Answer: 1000 Rupees
6) Which bollywood film, directed by Bimal Roy in 1953, is the story of an impoverished farmer who became the Rickshaw Puller?
Answer: Do Bhiga Jamin.
7)Last year the world oldest marathon runner featured in a publicity campaign for
8) In 2011 Rupert Murdoch News Corp. launched the ‘Daily’. It is the first Newspaper:-
Answer : Ipad
9) You have to pay to go up the Eiffel tower. Serious/Joking?
10)All the winner of Nobel Prizes for Economics have won the award in their lifetime. True/False?
11) Complete this phrase ; Be penny wise and——–Foolish.
Answer : Pound
12) In 1917, the US Rubber company almost marketed their footwear creation calling it Veds or Peds. They finally used another four letter word for them. What was it called as?
13) Who headed the Salt Lake Org. Committee for the Olympic Paralympics Winter games of 2002?
Answer: Mitt Romney
14) What is trademark ed as a type of plasticized cardboard carton for milk & other folded from a single sheet ?
Answer: Tetra pack
15) Who worked in the Daily Bungle ?
16) The Pakistan version of which board game is called Crorepati Baopaar?
17) Which is the most popular flavour of ice cream?
Answer : Vanilla
18) Which company trades on the NYSE using the symbol “LNKD”?
19) In their effort to stop tea from being declared the national drink, what did bar owners in Ludhiana abudantly serve to their customers?
Answer: Lassy ( a drink extracted from the milk)
20) 19 nation representing 6% of the world population have comprehensive national bans on ————- advertising ?
21) Who presented the first interim budget of independent India?
Answer:R. K. Shanmukham Chetty
22) The name of which mild pain killer comes from ‘acetyliete spirsaure’ salicylic acid”?
23) According to Philip Kotler the science and art of exploring, creation value to satisfy the needs of a target market at a profit is called ————
24) In 1882, a company started by which inventor provided the 1st commercial light system in Lower Manhattan ?
Answer:- GE, Thomas Edison.
ROUND 1:- An innovative round where Derek gave answers and teams had to frame questions out of it. And the teams found out how it is difficult to create questions rather than giving answer).
1) 7824-7431-7884 Ranjana Sonawane of Maharashtra
Answer: Who was first AADHAAR recipient?
2)To cure his kidney stones Marquir de Lessert drank this water from his friends property.
Answer: How did we got Evain Water?
3) Forbes magazine says this Indian is the Most Looser of 2011.
Ans:-Who ranked Laxmi Mittal as the most loser of 2011?
4) This auto sport originated when bootleggers transported whiskey at night in modified cars to deceive the police.
Ans:-How did NASCAR originated?
5) Travel Company started in 1841 when the founder took 500 passenger from Leicester to Loughborough
Ans:-How was Thomas&Cook formed?
1)In 1990s before he become the pioneer of it, he was a motorcycle dealer, having poultry farm and served in Indian army. He is also a Udupi hotel owner and a stockbroker. Who?
Ans. CAPTAIN Gopinath
2) Which iconic brand has assembly line in Brazil and Bawal (Haryana).
Ans. Harley Davidson
3) According to the Times in London, who was the richest musician in 2011 under the age of 30?
4))It is belived, Japanese used to put something in Chai to make it bitter. What did they used to put in the Chai ?
Idea Deal Round:-
1) According to a recent survey, who is the best brand ambassador in watch category?
Ans. Tiger Wood
2) Name this commodity which derives its name from ‘Juniper berry”
3) “My wealth comes from Luck and compound Interest”. Who said these words?
Ans. Warren Buffet
4) India produces more than 109 varieties of this agri product. What ?
5) In which city of Southern Hemisphere wad the movie ‘ The Lord of Rings’ ahot?
6) Which company in the world produces more than 300 million rubber tyre ?
- This management Guru is known as ‘MEP’
Answer:- Micheal E Porter
2) Harry Bentley Bradley are set to design which brand of Toys ?
Answer:- Hot Wheels
3) In term of Tonnage, which state produce more wheat?
4) Which country has most users of FACEBOOK?
Tata Crucible Corporate 2012- Grand Finals October 20, 2012
The following questions were asked at the Tata Crucible Corporate 2012 National Finals held on October, 7th 2012 in Mumbai. Our thanks to Sudhanshu Sekhar Panda for this compilation.
- In Arabic, Rubʻmeans “one fourth, quarter” while Hizbmeans “a group or party”. Initially, it was used in the Quran. The symbol is used as a marker for the end of a chapter in Arabic calligraphy and forms two overlapping squares known as Rub el hizb. Which architectural wonder is based on this design?
Answer: Petronas towers (The cross sections of Petronas Towers resembles the above symbols
a) people are good (b) sky is not the limit (3) win-win .These are the prophecies written on whose own grave?
- In the world of paralympics, what is the significant contribution of the Icelandic company Ossun?
Ans: Makes carbon fibre blades for Oscar Pistorious- the double amputee runner from South Africa nicknamed as the “Blade Runner”.
- Which concept in banking parlance came into existence after the Greek Banker Minos Zombanakis at London branch of Manufacturer’s Hanover, now part of JPMorgan, arranged $60million for the Shah of Iran?
Ans:Concept of LIBOR came into being.
Oreo cookies were not selling till 1993 in USA since it was not being accepted by this community. The biscuits were made of lard (pig fat) which hurt this communities sentiments. Which community are we talking about?
What does the Altman Z-score measure?
Answer:- The Z-score formula for predicting bankruptcy was published in 1968 by Edward L. Altman.
- Dainius Rutkauskas and two others created “Lietuvos Kvapas ” . It is a mix of bergamot, wild flowers, ginger, raspberry and grapefruit.What is it?
Ans: Lithuania’s “national perfume” – or “the scent of Lithuania”.
- What is considered to be the origin of the phrase “learn the ropes”?
Ans: It originates from shipping- when a young lad learns the basic runnings of an operation or job.
- A London based restaurant introduced a 12-item banana leaf meal inspired by the diet of which famous freedom fighter from India?
Answer:- Mahatma Gandhi
- Lutinewas a French Navy class frigate launched in 1779. The British captured her in 1793 and took her into the Royal Navy and renamed her as HMS Lutine; she was lost in 1799. Lloyd’s of London has preserved her bell – the Lutine Bell. For what specific ritual did Lloyd use this bell?
Answer: Lloyd’s of London would ring the bell every time a ship sank.
- Who is the author of these novels?
Answer:- Prakash Tandon- 1st Indian CEO of HLL
- On whom is this book based on?
Answer:- DAWOOD IBRAHIM
- Name this Indian who created a coffee institution that still exists.
Answer: AK GOPALAN OF INDIAN COFEE HOUSE
- What is the significance of these stamps?
Answer:- 1st ever stamps of Pakistan, being from the 1940s British India series stamps overprinted with the word Pakistan. Known as the Nasik Overprints.
- Which term originated from British soldiers observing local offerings in Indian temples?
- This is Lillie Langtry. What was her claim to fame in the 19thcentury?
Answer: – 1st actress model for Pears soap
- Intouch Plc.is the new name of the Shin Corporation.Who was the owner of Shin Corporation?
Answer: – Thaksin Shinatwara, former PM of Thailand
Tata Crucible Corporate 2012 at Chennai October 17, 2012
The following questions were asked at the Tata Crucible regional round held in Chennai on September 30th,2012. Our thanks to Jayakumar GB of Hyundai Motors India, Chennai for this compilation.
TATA CRUCIBLE CORPORATE 2012 – CHENNAI REGIONAL ROUND
- Which luxury group owns the brands GUCCI, YSL, Redcats?
- Name the restaurant which is an amalgamation of the word “Nordic Food” and was adjudged the best restaurant in 2010 & 2011.
- Which company created the modern espresso machine in 1934?
- This company is Singapore Airlines low cost subsidiary. It’s name is short, sharp and snappy. The name resembles an Indian scooter brand.
- This location-based social networking website for mobile devices, such as smart phones, was created by Dennis Crowley- whose similar “Dodge ball” was acquired by Google. It takes it’s name from a playground sport. Identify.
Answer:- Four Square
- Of the 1,000 people surveyed in the UK, 66 % have nomophobia, up from 53% 4 years ago. What is nomophobia?
Answer:- No Mobile Phone Phobia
- This is a non-profit educational organization that operates clubs worldwide for the purpose of helping members improve their communication, public-speaking and leadership skills. It was founded by Ralph C. Smedley.
Answer:- Toastmasters International
- Which famous personality is behind the “Girl friend” perfume?
Answer:- Justin Bieber
- Identify the author of the book.
Answer:- Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman
- Originally formulated by General Foods Corporation food scientist William A. Mitchell in 1957, sales of this product were poor until NASA used it on John Glenn’s Mercury flight, and subsequent Gemini missions. Since then, it was closely associated with the U.S. manned spaceflight program. The brand is currently owned by Kraft Foods.
- Which not-so-successful Telecom service launched in 1995?
Answer:- Pager service
- What was established in 1932 as TBVF by late Mr. Vishnu?
- Jersey Airtel and Guernsey Airtel are services offered under a partnership between Airtel & ______?
- Identify this controversial project.
What was the Online Travel service of MSN which was later spun off in 1999?
- Popularly known as Co-optex, it was established in 1935 and has a long and rich tradition in Handloom History that dates back over 77 years. Has a network of 203 showrooms spread all over India with an annual turnover of around Rs.1000 Crore.
Answer:- The Tamilnadu Handloom Weavers’ Co-operative Society Ltd
- Who is the Official Sportswear Partner to Wembley Stadium and exclusive football supplier to The FA at all levels of the game?
- Which retailer has the “From the mountains” range of Jams & Chutney?
- Former chief technology officer @ Zynga, he left the company to assume a similar role at ServiceNow, a company that offers software to automate enterprise IT operations as a service. Identify the person.
Answer:- Allan Leinwand
- Which airline’s campaign “Our sign is a promise”?
Answer:- Swiss Airlines
- Which company owns the “Optimus” range of mobile phones?
- Identify the personality.
Answer:- Sivasankaran – Siva Group
TIPS & TRENDS:
- At the time of the Second World War, the Government of India asked the leading advertisement agencies to form a consortium and set up a publicity unit in Shimla to handle war propaganda, tackle rumour mongering, put out messages about black-outs and handle recruitment to the armed forces. When the war ended, this consortium was converted into its present form. It came into being in 1955. Identify the organisation.
Ans:- DAVP (Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity)
- ‘Class Edge’ is an offering from which TATA group company?
Answer:- TATA Interactive systems
Identify this futuristic currency
Answer:- Currency designed to be used by inter-planetary travellers. Called the Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination or Quid.
- This most famous brand’s first in the world is to be set up in Golden Temple at Amritsar, the second one in Vaishno Devi Temple. Which brand are we talking about?
Answer:- McDonald’s Veg Restaurant
- The name of this famous Indian brand comes from a flower. The brand traces its history to 1862 when Kanji Morarji, started a small trading business in Mumbai. Which brand?
Answer:- Suffola (from Sunflower)
- Which TATA group company acquired 51% stake in Zero waste Agro organics Pvt ltd (ZWAOPL), a Maharashtra based organic manure and soil conditioners manufacturing company?
Answer:- Rallis India
- It is the Sanskrit word that now refers to the entire plant kingdom. However, according to Charaka Samhitā and Sushruta Samhita medical texts, it is limited to plants that bear fruits but no evident flowers. In the Rigveda, it is a deity presiding over the forest and described as the “bright golden hued _________, with its thousand branches.” Identify the brand name.
- Which tiny seeds grown mainly in Rajasthan, Haryana and the Saurashtra region of Gujarat in India are helping in the oil field services of Halliburton?
Answer:- Guar Seeds – an essential ingredient for mining oil and natural gas in a process called hydraulic fracturing
- “India’s Place in the Sun Would Come from the Partnership Between Wisdom of its Rural People and Skill of its Professionals”. Which famous Indian’s quote?
Answer:- Dr. Verghese Kurien
- Identify this personality who was the former chairman of Madura Coats.
Answer:- John Shaw (Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw’s husband)
Tata AG promotes the worldwide export of a wide range of Indian commodities, finished products and non-traditional industrial items. It undertakes third-country international trading, counter-trading and specialist equipment procurement for overseas projects. Where is its Head Quarters?
- Advertisement for?
- BUSINESS APPRAISAL:
- WIPRO is set to sell it’s water purification and treatment business to which company?
Answer:- Earth water Group
- First luxury tower in India by Homestead will be branded in which personality’s name?
Answer:- Michael Schumacher
- George Weyman, inventor of Copenhagen Snuff, opened his tobacco shop in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This is the foundation to which global company?
Answer:- U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company (Altria Group)
- After selling the business they co-founded to TATA, one of them went on to start “Shop4solutions”, a retail solutions company. Who?
Answer:- Hemu Ramaiah, Founder and ex CEO of Landmark
Answer:- Colgate: Total, Tom’s – manufacturer of natural-ingredients-only personal care products, a partially owned subsidiary of Colgate-Palmolive, Mahesh Bhupathi – Brand ambassador
Answer:- Dabur: Balsara – acquired by Dabur, Amla – Dabur amla oil
Answer:- Zydus: slogan, Founder – Ramanbhai Patel, Bipasha Basu – Sugar Free brand ambassador
Answer:- Tang: Kraft logo, Warner Lambart belongs to Kraft group, Two flavours of Tang
III. BRICKS & MORTAR:
- What is the index used to measure the level of governance in African countries?
Answer:- IBRAHIM Index
- Which company was founded by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, Luke Nosek, Ken Howery, Elon Musk?
- What is the title of P.C.Balasubramanian & Raja Krishnamoorthy’s book on Rajini – Value Statements on Business and Life Management?
Answer:- PUNCHTANTRA (Rajini’s PUNCHTANTRA)
Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind October 14, 2012
September 15th, 2012 was celebrated as Engineer’s Day to mark the birth anniversary of Sir M. Vishweshwaraiah, the most outstanding Indian Engineer. Vishweshwaraiah was the brain behind Hyderabad’s flood protection system and the construction of Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mysore. His systems are in use till date. He was also honored with India’s highest honor-Bharat Ratna in 1955. To celebrate this day, all engineering professionals were invited to participate in the “Times Ascent Engineering Mastermind Challenge” presented by Larsen & Toubro. The national level quiz was held simultaneously in Bangalore and Delhi on September 15th. Mumbai witnessed the event being staged on September 16th. The top two teams from the zonal finals were given the opportunity to battle it out for the National Finals held in Mumbai on September 16th. So that made it two back to back quizzes in Mumbai- zonal+finals. As a quizzer, this would have been too much fun. What made the event more fascinating was the array of prizes on offer. The zonal winners were awarded with prizes such as ipad3 and Samsung Galaxy SII. If you thought this was the top draw for prizes, it does not end there. The National winners were treated to an exotic trip to Pattaya/Bangkok and had the privilege of being trained at the Mercedez Benz AMG Driving Academy at Buddh International Circuit. No engineering professional-even if he hates quizzing- could have passed such an opportunity.
The event witnessed a huge turnout of more than 100 teams in each of the 3 regions. The zonal rounds contained few questions catering to the local flavour. Thus in Bangalore prelims, there was a question on Sir M. Vishweshwaraiah that went answered by all the teams!! It also drew loud cheers from the crowd as they found it to be the simplest question. The prelims and the finals had an interesting mixture of dry questions and audio/videos too. The pressure on the teams was upped during the rapid fire round that was played on the buzzers with negative markings!!! Few teams took the risk and it paid off while others were not so lucky. TCS put up a commanding performance in the Bangalore zonals and they carried this momentum to Mumbai and ultimately took home the crown of National Winners- thus ensuring their flight tickets to Pattaya/Bangkok and a cool drive around the Buddh Circuit. It was a perfect end to what one could really call as “The Weekend of Engineers”- powered and engineered by QuizWorks.
FEW OF THE QUESTIONS THAT WERE ASKED:-
What moves up to 4500 mph within a second when triggered, with a force of 200G, and is designed to explode at an impact speed of 19 mph?
“Liquid Engineering Crew” s a web based social community of auto enthusiasts which also doubles up as a rewards forum. Which company runs this program?
_________ is an intentional drop in voltage in an electrical power supply system used for load reduction in an emergency. Fill up the blank
Which oil and lubricant company’s logo is titled “Orange Disc”?
Which company is the official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games?
Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica, published on July 5th, 1687, forms the foundation of classical mechanics. Name the author.
Which communication technology uses short-wavelength radio transmissions in the band width of 2400-2480 MHz?
What is described as the actual twisting force at the engine’s crankshaft and is measured in terms of pounds-feet?
The complexity of ‘this’ is said to rise by (n^2)/(log n) where n is the side of the polygon involved. What is the universal name of ‘this’?
SHRM First People Student Quiz October 14, 2012
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) organized the First, People Student Quiz Contest on September 22nd, 2012 at the Grand Hyatt in Goa. As part of their national HR conference and to reach out to a larger audience, SHRM, in association with Monster College, organized an online test where more than 10000 students registered for the test. After testing their analytical and written skills, shortlisted students were grouped in random teams of two for the regional rounds of the First People Quiz. Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Bhubaneshwar were selected as the regional centres for the quiz. The winning team from every centre was rewarded with an all expense paid trip to Goa to compete for the national finals held on September 22nd. Thus, 4 good quizzing teams battled it out in Goa amidst a huge crowd.
The national final was hosted by Mr. Raj Dam of QuizWorks. With his keen sense of humor, he had the audience in laughter at all times. Questions were thrown at the audience to keep them engaged which included a variety of HR related questions keeping the crowd profile in mind. The quiz had a good mixture of dry questions, visuals and audio/videos too. The quiz was made all the more engaging by inviting 4 people from the audience to assist the teams on stage. This round was aptly named “Magical Mentors”- a perfect setting for a HR conference. The Delhi team took all the assistance that was offered and raced ahead in the leader board. They eventually finished the quiz with a total of 90 points, leaving behind the other teams, to emerge champions of the first edition of the SHRM First People Student Quiz.
Details of the teams:-
Vivek Kumar and Prateek Acharya, DELHI- 90 POINTS
Amit Naik and Vineeth Pandita, MUMBAI- 20 POINTS
Shiva Prabhakar and Shuvendu Parui, BANGLAORE- 20 POINTS
Siddarth Parida and Pankaj Tandakar, BHUBANESHWAR- O POINTS
Questions that were asked:-
- If you are importing/exporting things called Playgirl, Sexy Rexy, Sweet Caroline, Dancing in the Rain etc what product are you doing business in?
Answer is Roses. When this question was passed to the audience, their imagination ran wild with answers ranging from perfumes to condoms!!!!!
- What connects Goan Feni, Gir Kesar mango, Mysore Silk, Darjeeling Tea and Tirupati Laddoos?-
Answer is Geographical Indication Status.
- This technique, widely used in various field sports was invented by Gallaudet University quarterback Paul D. Hubbard in 1892. Gallaudet University was for the education of deaf and hard-of-hearing students. When quarterbacking, Hubbard realized that his hand signals could be read by opposing players, a particular concern when Gallaudet played other schools for the deaf. To remedy this, he invented this technique. What?
Answer is Huddle.
TATA CRUCIBLE AT ODISHA September 12, 2012
The announcement of the introduction of Vishakapatnam as a new city for Crucible drew loud cheers as it ensured teams from that region would not come here to take part. The show was quite an interesting one with the consistent teams from Vizag staying back for the fight, as this year due to logistical problems Guwahati was cancelled and Vizag deemed fit! The stage was fairly represented by PSUs and privates as well as startups, Ishwar software took a negative early in the quiz making their position look tumultuous, but some marvelous buzzer action later, they were back on track; although as pickbrain would put it, they were consistent all round, all the three rounds were won by them. IOCL gave a very close challenge to Ishwar who emerged the winners. With the final question on Verghese Kurien, Giri concluded the quiz in style! Real good quizzing action..
What publication is nick named, “the daily diary of the American dream”?
WALL STREET JOURNAL
In the days of cola based aerated drinks having prominence, 7up mustered to advertise against pepsi and coke.. What slogan?
Lets ___ Cola!
S Sivaramakrishnan bought Sterling computers (now Sterling Infotech) from which family in the 1980s. Clue: It’s a tennis family
From 1925-34, which automobile brand used Eifel tower as the world’s largest ad sign as recorded by the Guiness book of world records?
Ad for which automobile company?
It was founded by Europeans on April 24,1865 as the oldest joint stock bank in India. Which?
Launched in Nepal with collaboration with Thai food industries- it means quick in thai. What are we talking about?
WAI WAI NOODLES
Biscuit brand named after royal house that first ruled France in the 16thcentury and 18thcentury Spain. Which brand?
Modeled after colt .45, introduced by Black and Decker, 45 years later the company released a cordless version. What?
Which company did he work for?
MARTIN COOPER OF MOTOROLA- INVENTOR OF MOBILE PHONE
Park Tae Joon, a former army officer was trapped by South Korea’s military leader to start a company in the late 1960s. He became a hard charging government backed businessmen and in a way propelled Korea out of post war poverty. Why was he making news in India a few moths ago?
Sylvan Nathan Goldman, noticed the customers in his departmental store stopped when their bags got heavy, in 1936 an idea came to him from the folding chairs he had in the attic. Which idea?
What is acquhiring?
Rather than hiring a certain big number of people with a certain skill set, you acquire a company of the genre..
Whose Inflight Magazine is called as Oryx?
www.books.com will redirect you to which bookstore’s webpage?
Months after Roger Federer was born, his parents opened up an account for him.. This Bank now advertises as, “Helping Roger Federer relax since 1981”
Each employee of this company is a part of the cast, they are called cast members; cast members onstage and cast members backstage.Which company in the world of entertainment?
178 acres gym, 400m track, beach volley, buildings named after athletes Steve Prefontaine, Michael Jordan. Which sporting giant?
To whom does this Google Doodle pay tribute to?